Users cannot log in to a new unstallation

Users cannot log in to a new unstallation

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -
Number of replies: 5

I have a test set up using newly installed Moodle 2.7 networked to a dedicated server.  I cannt create a user.  When I go the log-in screen, there is no option to log in as new user.

I have looked in enrollment options, admin set up, and other places but I guess I am just missing the option to enable log ins.

If there a better location for this question then maybe someone can tell me where to put it...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

Re: Users cannot log in to a new unstallation

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Do you mean users cannot create  accounts? If so then have a look at Email-based self-registration

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

Yes, they cannot create new accounts.  Interesting, I don't seem to relate an educational process as an "account" but I guess it is...

The first two paragraphs in that "Email-Based Registration" link:

"An administrator can enable email-based self-registration in Administration > Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication."

It talks about Locking and Unlocking but does not say what either means.

"In addition to enabling the plugin, email-based self-registration must be selected from the self registration drop-down menu in the common settings." 

Where are these "common settings"?

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you go to the page Site administration>Plugins>Authentication>Manage authentication that is where you would click to enable email based self registration. Then you scroll down on that same page and you will see Common settings - make sure it says "enable"

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Users cannot log in to a new unstallation (RESOLVED)

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

OK, so I was going to "Email-Based self Regulations" and then Settings.
Logical yes, Intelligent? yes, Intuitive yes. Effective no....

Then I found the "Common settings" at the bottom of the first page before going into settings....

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: New User don't receive confirmation email using email based self registration

by Ellen Yarnell -

Hi Mary, We have one site that uses Moodle 1.9.16 and has email based self registration enabled. I have checked all the things you suggest and everything looks correct. Our problem, when new users register they don't receive a confirmation email so their account is never confirmed. To confirm it I have to manually confirm and then they can log in. I have sent you two screenshots so that you can see our setup. We don't have any SMTP settings in our general email - could this be the problem?

Thank you!

Attachment self-reg.jpg
Attachment self-reg2.jpg