Julian's Essential and Elegance - still supported?

Julian's Essential and Elegance - still supported?

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 32
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As Julian seems to have moved on the pastures new, does anybody know what the support situation is for his Essential and Elegance themes?

I was considering deploying Elegance on a 2.7 upgrade site but I need some assurance the theme will continue to be supported in some manner.

Anybody know?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Julian's Essential and Elegance - still supported?

by Stasia Scani -

It is supported but it's not quite the same Elegance now. I installed an updated version and I must say I don't like it( The new coder made some changes that he liked but I switched back to the Julian's one.

In reply to Stasia Scani

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Out of interest, what were the changes you did not like Stasia?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Stasia Scani -
Ok, that's it.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stasia Scani

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have also remained with Julian's theme for now but am hopeful that Danny or someone else will bring back the features that we like - yes, it was me that asked for the lovely hovering thing(!!!) which does indeed work on mobile in my tests.

My biggest holdup on switching to Danny's version is the drop down list from the name in the top right hand corner.  It takes me about 3 or 4 clicks to get it to work.  I would actually like it to work with just a hover -  I might see if I can implement it myself.

Julian is presenting at the Mountain Moot and I am hoping to corner him and see if we can get a few updates on the theme from him!!  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Stasia Scani -

Hello Emma, so it was you!) Wonderful if you can see Julian and tell him his theme is a blessing for Moodle and Moodlers)

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Oh I hope you do get to corner him Emma...please say hello from me?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What lovely hover thingy? Am I missing something?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

When you are on the My Course page and hover over the Course Icon, the course name zooms in with a nice Enter button.  Designed to work with a Course Summary Image file as the icon.

by Julian Ridden -

Corner me? You will need a big corner :D

Happy to be cornered. Might even make some quick changes on the fly. But the sad reality is that I don't have the free time I thought I would and that has really limited my ability to maintain. I am so glad to see others however picking it up and letting these projects live on after my departure. They have my full blessing and support!

If anything, I want to encourage those taking over these projects to please fell free to reach out to me. Im happy to help as much as time allows. I don't want to see these projects buried. Just sadly my time is limited.

Julian

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Emma Richardson -

Lol - I am currently trying to plan my trip to Montana.  Ryan said you would be there the whole week but guessing you might like some time off!  Would love a few pointers on some of the code if you have time while you up there.  Will supply the beer!  

by Floyd Saner -

Emma and Julian,

It will be good to meet both of you at the Mountain Moot.  I would also enjoy getting some tips from Julian.  I'm also up for the beer, but wonder what our theme code might produce after several drinks!

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Saner

by Emma Richardson -

I am thinking that between us all, we could create a great theme - maybe called "Ale"gance!  

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stasia Scani

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I've also stuck with Julian's original - not because of Danny's design choices, but because I already built the child theme off that one and I haven't had chance/inclination to update it the way it might need doing now that Danny's version is created as a child theme of Bas' bootstrap3.

If/when Bas' bootstrap3 goes into core then I may change direction, but I like using my own child of the chosen parent theme (often a 3rd party contributed one) and I'm not overly keen on that parent theme then being a child of another 3rd party contributed theme. That is not a slight on any of the excellent developers involved in either of these projects, its just a step to far for me to justify maintainability and upstream continuity with the people I do the work for smile

I don't really want to take on ongoing development of Julian's Elegance theme as it is however, given Danny's excellent work and the decision not to rename his theme. I understand his reasoning, but to me it blocks further development of the original Elegance theme as we run too much risk of having two parallel themes with the same name. Right now, the development on the original version seems 'frozen' so we can (relatively) easily tell that its the 'original' or the 'Danny' version (with the obvious benefits of Danny's continued support and development work). That said, I'm more than happy to try and do what i can if there are specific bug fixes needed to Julian's original for anyone, like me, who does not yet want to upgrade to Danny's version.

Likewise with Essential - as far as I can see its a relatively stable theme in its current form. I have no plans to develop it further, but I'm happy to try to provide ongoing bug fixes to the best of my ability within the community.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Stasia Scani -
Elegance is good as it is from mine as a teacher ( front-end user) point of view. But those who are behind the scenes say things like 'a nightmare'. I suppose it means bad, bad errors in code?

The error I can see is with counting messages. Old messages are still being counted. This was fixed in the new elegance and I tried to implement code for the J.elegance. It worked! But now the new messages are not being counted sometimessad

Also, there's a wierd thing with a background slideshow on the login page. I deleted all images that I used for it but one of them got stuck on the page as a wallpaper.

So if you are the one who can help fix some bugs, let's get started!smile

Cheers

In reply to Stasia Scani

by Emma Richardson -

Yes, I noticed if you add slides and then try and just change the number of slides without making your existing slides inactive, they will not go away.  You have to go back to the slideshow page, change it back to the original number of slides that you had and then uncheck the Use this Slide checkbox.  At least, for the front page slideshow, that worked for me.

by Stasia Scani -

Thank you Emma, you're my savior!)

In reply to Stasia Scani

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Stasia,

RE: The error I can see is with counting messages. Old messages are still being counted. This was fixed in the new elegance and I tried to implement code for the J.elegance. It worked! But now the new messages are not being counted sometimessad

I was the one who created the new message counting code for iMoot 2014 which made its way into Danny's version - https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_elegance/commit/2f400a32f1f475b1d8611dfb3fc55208dfbf5b93.  Is there any more info you can give me about 'not counted sometimes' please?  What do you notice?

Cheers,

Gareth

by Stasia Scani -

Oh well, there was a little mess with itsmile

First, I did everything what had to be done from instructions on the github. There were some differencies in code and maybe I did something wrong because my Moodle site crashed. So I put back the original version.php file. This brought my site back to life but not for long). So I put back the original elegance-theme.php. This time it worked! Site well and live, old messages are not being counted.

The new messages seem to be counted 'from second try'.

If I send a message, the recipient can't see a new message. If I send a second one, he sees he has one new message (the last I sent).

That's it.

In reply to Stasia Scani

by Emma Richardson -
I suspect that maybe you did not get the code quite right.  I know that the code change is working correctly for me.  I patched Julian's version with the message code and it appears to be working as it should.
In reply to Stasia Scani

by Gareth J Barnard -

Are you waiting enough time for the cron job to operate between message sending and checking the number of messages?

by Stasia Scani -

I get a copy of the message on my email box instantly. I'll check if I messed up something in code.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Emma Richardson -

I like the way that Danny made it a child theme - makes more sense overall and especially if the parent theme becomes part of core.  

And, I definitely appreciate Danny taking it on.  

I will add my voice that I think at some point, it needs to be renamed or maybe the original needs renamed but it will cause confusion as is.    Obviously, it is an amazing theme, hence the huge number of forum discussions about its continuance and upkeep...

I have really just started into the theme adaption area of Moodle (greatly enjoying it for now) but would be happy to help if I can, even it just be with testing.  I do not call myself a coder by any means, more of a wannabe!

In reply to Howard Miller

by Danny Wahl -

I haven't made too many updates to my version of elegance 2.7 in a while- and with today being the last day of school I might have more time in the near future.

Most of the concerns listed here are, I believe, legit bugs- I didn't choose to have to click like 4 times to open a menu wink I just haven't had time to fix it.

I really appreciate feedback on my changes and what's wrong, but even more so I appreciate issues:

https://github.com/thedannywahl/moodle-theme_elegance/issues

To give you an idea of things that might break, here's a short list of where bugs might unknowingly be introduced:

• theme API changes from 2.6 to 2.7 break stuff in original elegance code (and mine)
  • parent theme changes in theme_bootstrap break stuff in my port of elegance
  • I broke something converting elegance to a child of theme_bootstrap by altering a method or stylesheet
  • I just straight up broke something...

So there is potential for things to break without me changing anything- that's why I appreciate feedback.  As to renaming the theme, as I've said before I'm open to in the future IF Julian won't make my version the new official version, and I haven't even asked him yet mixed (See Plugins Adoption Programme)

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=260354

tl;dr: If you like Julian's version, then use it big grin, but I don't think he's coming back...

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -

I think at the end of the day simplicity is the way forward. The simpler a theme is the better it is for all concerned.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No... he posted some pretty definite "goodbye to Moodle" messages so I assumed that we shall not see his like again, and all that wink

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Emma Richardson -
Danny,
Please don't think we/I don't appreciate all the work you have done.  I definitely do and am excited that you took on the theme and would be happy to help you keep it alive in any way I can.  I would actually like to upgrade to your theme and am going to look at the changes (when I have time, Ha!) and see if I can see if I can help find any fixes for the little bugs.
The only issue with the name is that if we use your theme, we cannot go back to Julian's version.  For me, Julian's is a little more functional and has the features that I really like but I think the approach you are taking make sense and you are right, Julian does not appear to be coming back and has other projects in his life.
So, currently I have your theme on my dev site and Julian's on my live site (actually several live sites) but now I cannot switch back to Julians on my dev site (without major work) because it says that yours is newer and I am not ready to upgrade to yours on my live sites because of the issues I mentioned!
The fun of open source!!  
Emma
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -

I've just fixed Rocket theme for the same reason since I don't expect Julian has neither the time nor the inclination to start messing with old themes when he is learning new stuff.

I've left the theme name the same, and just added my name using ...

/**
 * @package   theme_rocket
 * @copyright 2011 Julian Ridden
 * @revised   2014 Mary Evans {@link bylazydaisy.co.uk}
 * @license   http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU GPL v3 or later
 */

There are places that I might make some changes in which case I will clone it and make it into Rocket's sister ship Rocketta smile