Self-Registered Students Can't Login

Self-Registered Students Can't Login

by Jonathon Hike -
Number of replies: 7

We recently enabled the Email-Based Self-Registration on our Moodle 2.4 site, and after some SMTP issues finally got a test account to create and enroll in a course with an enrollment key. However, when I logged out of the test account and tried to log back in, I keep getting an error message saying it's an invalid login. I even logged in as an admin and changed the password to the test account, but it still kept saying it was an invalid login. I read where you have to have the Email-Based Self-Registration plugin enabled to allow users who have self-registered to login, which I've done. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or knows of a fix?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathon Hike

Re: Self-Registered Students Can't Login

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Did you create the account from the admin screens or go through the process of self-registration?

As Admin, check the following page:

Site Administration>Plugins>Authentication

Check the 'Email-based self-registration' plugin is enabled (it should also show '1' in the Users column) but also check the section 'Common Settings' underneath the list of authentication plugins - the Self Registration (first box in that section) also needs to be set to 'email-based self-registration'.

Then edit the profile of the Test User account - the second box down says 'Choose an authentication method' - that also needs to say email-based self-registration' (it will do if you went through the process of self-registration to create the account).

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jonathon Hike -

I created the account by going through the process of self-registration. Everything worked great when I went through the link in the confirmation email, but when I try to login normally, it keeps rejecting me. 

Everything you've listed is what it's supposed to be. It shows there is one email-based self-registered user, and when I go to the profile for the Test User, it says "Email-Based Self-Registration."

by Jon Bolton -

Ok, that's strange thoughtful

Did you maybe inadvertently have caps lock on when resetting the password??

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jonathon Hike -

Nope! I double checked that when I reset the password. 

by Jon Bolton -

Dash it! That would have been far too easy though wink

Try creating another account and see if you have the same problem - that will help eliminate if it's an authentication issue or an issue with that one user account.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jonathon Hike -

I tried creating another account this morning and the same thing happened. When I originally used the confirmation e-mail to access the site, I was able to log in and access the course no problem. However, when I logged out and tried to log back in, it gave me the "invalid login" message.

I'm completely stumped!

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Jonathon Hike -

Would the fact that "the cron.php maintenance script hasn't been run for at least 24 hours" have anything to do with it? I'm going through all the Site Admin pages to see if there's some little setting that was checked on accident,, and that was a message that popped up under Notifications.