Upgraded PHP to 5.4 but cannot install Moodle 2.7+ or 2.6.3+

Upgraded PHP to 5.4 but cannot install Moodle 2.7+ or 2.6.3+

by Sarah Ashley -
Number of replies: 10

Hello lovely people!

I am totally baffled as to why I am getting the message below that I am currently running PHP 5.2.17 when I upgraded my server from 5.3 to 5.4 on GoDaddy.

Moodle 2.7 installation requires php 5.4.4, currently version 5.2.17

Here is my server info: OS = Linux, PHP Version = 5.4

server details - OS Linux PHP 5.4, USA, Hostname sarah-ashley.com 

PHP version is 5.4

I got the same error when I tried to install Moodle 2.6.3+ (see URL)

Moodle 263 installation error message regarding php version

Where is the Moodle Installation getting version 5.2.17 from????

Anybody know how I can bypass this hangup, please? I am sooooooo ready to explore my own Moodle 2.7 or at least 2.6!

Thanks so much.
Sarah.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarah Ashley

Re: Upgraded PHP to 5.4 but cannot install Moodle 2.7+ or 2.6.3+

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Make a small file in the root of your web files area called 'test.php' and containing just one line...

<?php phpinfo();

Then go to http://your.url/test.php (replace with correct url/path for your hosting).

What version of PHP does it say you are running?

In reply to Sarah Ashley

by Sarah Ashley -

Okay, update to situation!

I contacted GoDaddy and they found that they had something wrongly configured and fixed it, so now the PHP 5.4 is what shows up for phpinfo(). Bummer is that they only have version 5.4.1, which means I can't install Moodle 2.7! Awww!

So, I installed Moodle 2.6.3+ but have these strange unstyled pages, with broken image links. Is this a problem on my end or with the installation package?

Just wanted to see what the "vanilla" looks like before setting or installing another theme.

Does anyone have an idea what is happening?

Thanks again.
Sarah

Attachment moodle263-homepage-after-install.png
Attachment moodle263-installation-page.png
In reply to Sarah Ashley

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You could try (although it might not make a difference but it won't do any harm and you can always switch it back) unchecking/checking (whichever is not the case for you) slash arguments in Site Administration > Server > HTTP within your Moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sarah Ashley -

Thanks for trying, Mary, but that wasn't it.

Appreciate your help!
Sarah

In reply to Sarah Ashley

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Somewhere in your config.php file (before it loads setup at the end) add the line...

$CFG->slasharguments = false;

Any different?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Sarah Ashley -

Fantastic, I'm back in business! 

Thank you Howard! Your suggestion did the trick!

Much appreciated!
Sarah.

In reply to Sarah Ashley

by Howard Miller -

It was actually the same suggestion as Mary's (in a different way), so I'm not sure why it didn't work through the user interface. Oh well, as long as you are working now smile

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Oh thanks Howard for clarifying - I was just going to say how come my suggestion didn't work when yours did?  But just one of those things I guess.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -

Some caching oddness probably...

by Sarah Ashley -

You know what, you may be right. The page sat there and spun for a bit like it was stuck refreshing and then I saw Howard posted something and went to try that and refreshed the page. Maybe if I had waited long enough for the page to finish reloading it might have been resolved.

Apologies, Mary!
Sarah