Navigation overhaul

Navigation overhaul

by Frédéric Massart ⭐ -
Number of replies: 21
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi everyone,

you might remember some discussions that were had with regards to improvements to navigation throughout Moodle (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=233520 and http://prototype.moodle.net/clean/). Jetha Chan and myself have been writing a specification to make Moodle more user-friendly and we would really appreciate your feedback. The current draft can be found at http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Navigation_overhaul_specification.

You'll notice that some proposed solutions, particularly those to do with courses, do not yet have fleshed-out implementation details; unfortunately, this is due to the nature of navigation - many factors need to be considered when making changes, and we've added detail where possible. At present we've decided to prioritise getting community feedback on 'user context' solutions, which can be developed independently; feel free, however, to give feedback on both.

Please use the discussion page on the wiki, or this forum thread to express your thoughts.

Many thanks!

Fred

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Frédéric Massart ⭐

Re: Navigation overhaul

by Dan Poltawski -
Hi Fred/Jetha, 

Great work - a lot of these suggestions sound great. A few comments:

User preferences page

Don't forget that it will also the right time to organise many of the random things which are on the 'edit prpofile' page too, and also move some that aren't on there but should be. (Probably a grep for user_prefernces would find some)

A course 'Quick access' menu

To unenrol yourself from a course, you would not look into the 'Course administration' node, you would rather find a link on 'My home' page next to the list of courses to unenrol yourself from them.
I am not sure that this is a wise choice to move the link as we can't depend on every site making use of the 'My home' page. Though I agree with the principle that this is not an important link to be showing all the time.

Dedicated grades page for the students
Don't we already have one?

An administration page per module

Potentially more clicks-to-destination
I would be a bit concerned about this - it might have a major impact for some modules. We might need to come up with an alternative standard metaphor for those modules to use for navigation between pieces of functionality (something like the old 'tabs' in 1.x).
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Jetha Chan -

Thanks for the feedback, Dan! Sorry for the belated response.

Re: user preferences, you're right - that'll be the perfect time to do a little housecleaning.

Re: moving the link, perhaps we could have some logic that only lets you remove it from Course administration if the My Home page is in use?

by Stephen Bourget -

First off thanks for taking this initiative,

I do have a few questions though.

1. The student grades page, will that be linked to the course grade report for each course or will it introduce a new report with all grades in all courses?  Also how will that behave if grades are hidden from students in a specific course (like when Show gradebook to student is set to false)

2, Will it be possible for plugins to be able to inject things into the user preferences page?  There are several components (I'm thinking things like some of the quiz reports and grade reports) that could benefit from having the preferences configured from a uniform place. 

3. Where would things like the question bank or filters fall in this new navigation scheme? (Since they can be used in multiple contexts such as a course or an activity)

The rest looks good.

-Steve

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Just saw your presentation on the Moodle developer meeting. Great work!

I would like to share a generic theme renderer function we are using over a year now, which was requested by Teachers and Administration stuff, that has some "None specific relation" (as the Tracker used to say) to your work. And I would like to know if you are interested in the code and/or your general feedback too.

It is a MouseOver custom quick action menu which is available system wide on each user's image, with links to hard to get administration functions. It is available to Teachers and Administrators exclusively. Here is a screen capture:

Moodle user quick action menu for administration stuff

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Nadav Kavalerchik

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

Good idea, it seem very interesting/useful (sure the code would interest several people) !

Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Great. I will find a nice clean commit that isolate this feature from other stuff on that theme, and share it here. (soon)

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

When is soon? tongueout

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Nadav Kavalerchik -

Here is a link:

https://gist.github.com/nadavkav/5c622a81e19447c15267

(Sorry "SOON" took a year sad )

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Derek Chirnside -

Thanks Nadev.  OS hackable software is great eh??

OK coders!!  (Séverin??)

Can someone in the know look at this?

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I looked at it...seems straight forward...sort of...

I just need to try it out...grrrrrr....

In reply to Mary Evans

by Derek Chirnside -

I was reminded of this by Derek's post on enlight.

Mary, did you get anywhere with this navigation thing??

-Derek

by Nadav Kavalerchik -

I am using it on both Elegance and Essential themes. so I can even send a PR to both github projects if at all is useful to anyone on this discussion 

by Derek Chirnside -

Frédéric

Has anything moved on in this area?

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Nadav Kavalerchik -

I uploaded a link for that promised code snippet to the above discussion reply. (sorry it took sooo long. I completely forgot about it)

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Fred,

I have just been directed from MDL-50661 via the Navigation Overhaul page so I thought my views about that issue and also the ones described in the specification page for your proposed changes.

Whilst I welcome a revision of the Navigation within Moodle, there are a few things that I am not happy with, the main one being the changes made to the "page-header". 

These changes will break the themes that are in place in most people's Moodle Sites, unless they are upgraded, or use the layouts from clean theme by default of their parent theme.

That said, I am sure the approach you took could have been better designed.

for one thing, why remove the page-header just to add a few new elements?

Couldn't these new elements, such as the context header and the page heading been written as a set of single elements and then added to the page-header in the layout, thus giving themes the option to move them to another location in the theme's scheme of things?

Also, I think that the breadcrumb would be better being placed just inside the page-content.

Just a few thoughts, on a very windy day in the UK...

Mary

by Derek Chaplin -

I recently came across the Enlight theme by LMSthemes.com. It has a custom category menu sidebar that offers a dynamic listing of courses by category.

See http://www.lmsthemes.com/enlight-demo/course/index.php?categoryid=4 for an example.

I find this method of navigation to be very intuitive and user friendly. It also allows for a large number of courses to be displayed in a compact, user friendly way, especially on mobile devices.

How difficult would it be to incorporate this feature into the Moodle core.

In reply to Derek Chaplin

by Derek Chaplin -

Just wondering if anyone has taken a look at this theme to see the navigation by Category. I would like to see this incorporated into the core of Moodle navigation as it is very clean and intuitive.

Where do I go to add this suggestion so it is considered by the Moodle development team?

Comments, anyone?

cheers,
Derek

by Richard Oelmann -

I looked at the demo, and it looks like its probably a renderer override, but as its a commercial theme I can't look at the code without buying it, so wont be doing that.

by Mary Evans -

Its old as it is running on Moodle 2.9.2 and that version will be dropped when 3.1 hits the scene.

Then we will be focusing on 3.2.

The blocks displayed are all custom built so may well be simply coded using the catergory link where the URL is the same for each category apart from the id so its easy to generate a list and only show the categories you need by hiding others by id. The rotation of the blocks is nice and have seen that in a free template, so it is something you could figure out how to do.

I have often thought it would be nice to have blocks in a row rather than in a columns. which could be in a fixed footer.