Journal for Moodle 2.7?

Journal for Moodle 2.7?

by Samuel Witzig -
Number of replies: 4

Does anyone know when journal for Moodle 2.7 will be officially released? Fortunately, the current of Journal (for Moodle 2.6) appears to be working on my Moodle 2.7 testserver.

Thanks for any answers!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuel Witzig

Re: Journal for Moodle 2.7?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Samuel,

Not sure when Journal for Moodle 2.7 will be available. David Monllaó (Lead maintainer) has been pretty good about releasing versions for each Moodle but he only does enough to keep it working and is not adding any new capability.

The latest version for Moodle 2.6 works with Moodle 2.7, but if you turn on debugging to developer mode, there are about 30 warnings of various types that will show up depending on what part of journal you are in. Most are related to deprecated methods of getting info and adding log entries. There is one set of two warnings that will show for every student entry when you view all the student entries.

Now...the reason I know these details is...I have played with trying to do a little programming in Moodle over the years, and literally just yesterday, had picked the Journal activity as something to play with while on summer break. It is very simple compared to other activities, without too many files to learn about. I am down to just two warnings left to try and figure out. They both show up for the teacher but only one shows up for students. I have fixed the log entries and even added a couple of new ones.

If you would like a copy with my modifications, to try out, let me know. The modifications do not change the journal database tables at all. Hopefully, sometime tomorrow, I will have the last two warnings  fixed. I'm going to quit "playing" for now. Students "gifted" me a cold and it is getting to me, so I'm done for the day.

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Samuel Witzig -

Hi Al

Thanks for your answer. We now have a copy of our production-server running with Moodle 2.7, and the journal appears to be working correctly (except the debug-messages you mentioned). I guess we will wait for David Monllaó's version, since we will upgrade our production-server in August. I would come back to your offer (an adapted version of the journal) David's release is delayed for some reason, ok?

Thank,

Samuel

In reply to Samuel Witzig

by David Monllaó -

Hi Samuel,

I'm in a long leave since march and I have less time to spend in projects I contribute to, but I return to Perth next week; I will release the 2.7 version during the next couple of weeks.