To elegance or not to elegance?

To elegance or not to elegance?

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So, currently I am using elegance on one 2.6 site and I just love the theme.  I am in the process of building a new site and thinking about starting it out on 2.7.  I want to use Elegance on that site too but am a little concerned with Julian leaving that it will quickly become incompatible.

What is everyone thinking along these terms?  Is someone going to step up and take over the maintenance of this theme?

Looking for input!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: To elegance or not to elegance?

by Richard Thomas -

I'd like to know the answer to this as well as we are just in the process of developing a 2.6 site using Elegance.

In reply to Richard Thomas

by Derek Chirnside -

I think Julian has moved on from the theme involvement.  He's just been busy with the iMoot and has a new twitter account here https://twitter.com/EduRidden  

No-one seems to have indicated they will take over the theme, but hey, this is OS and you never know.

Things are very fluid at the moment with themes.  Even what you do for 2.6 will generally need to be revisited for 2.7 with the whole new bootstrap thing.

With one of the groups I work with we are considering the same question.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So far, it seems to be fairly stable on 2.7 - having an issue with quick link 1 but nothing that a little css can't fix.  I am working with the More theme at the same time but love the flexibility of Elegance.

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Danny Wahl has indicated (I think) that he will take over on: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=259978.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Danny has certainly pushed elegance forward with a theme which rebuilds it directly as a child of Bas' Bootstrap3 base theme.

I've done some work on making a child theme of Elegance which I hope will make it easier for people to build onto it. And once I'm back to work I hope to do some more work with it too.

I also heard someone from Pukunui (I think it was Shane, but could be wrong) at the iMoot confirming that Essential and Elegance would continue to be supported, although not by whom.

So, I think its fairly safe to say that the theme will be supported, although it would be good to have a single person (or at least named group) responsible for people to turn to.

Maybe in a week or so, as soon as I am able to, I'll have a word with Danny, Julian and anyone else interested and we can come up with a workable solution for a named maintainer for the project. I know in that post Gareth referenced above Danny has said he doesn't want to 'own' the project but maybe we can come up with something a bit more organised between us than just generic forum support (which will carry on anyway!)

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Emma Richardson -

I know that Julian originally had committed to support them for a few months and I will follow up with him at the Mountain Moot  - signed up for all his sessions!  It is good news that others are looking to take this over.  For those of us that have used Rocket for years, Elegance just seems to be the natural progression.  I am currently developing a 2.7 site using the More theme and the Elegance theme and Elegance is just winning hands down due to layout, customizability and overall appeal.  It will ultimately depend on the clients but knowing that there is the chance for some support or maintenance to continue helps a lot.

I am going to install the 2.7 version that Danny has created and see how it works.  Would be great to get some feedback from Julian on this!

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Derek Chirnside -

Gareth, great.  I had missed this post, and I confused essential and elegance anyway.

Good news on all respects.

-Derek