Moodle with Ms active directory(Lapd) single sign-in

Moodle with Ms active directory(Lapd) single sign-in

by Spyros Savvanis -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone,

i'm trying the installation of moodle in Iis server with a dc Running active directory.

I have some questions for ldap settup for single sign-in in moodle for some fields, i tryed to do it with this guide but i fail

http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/LDAP_authentication

in Bind Settings  what i must put? just a username from Active directory? or a specific user?

what is cn= ,dc = dc, =dc?

in Value Content Field

what is ou=?

in Dereference aliases

the ldap tree, is it different from just an active directory users and computers tree

Thx a lot!

Savvanis Spyros

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Spyros Savvanis

Re: Moodle with Ms active directory(Lapd) single sign-in

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

The BIND user can be any valid AD user - our AD admin created a dedicated username in the ServiceAccounts ou for us, but you just need it's full AD path (e.g. cn=UserName,ou=Accounts,dc=yourcompany,dc=local)

Our test site for this is 2.4, which might explain why I can't see the Value Content Field, but we set the Dereference... field to be 'No'.

HTH 

In reply to Spyros Savvanis

by John Gifford -

The school I work at where I'm the Moodle administrator has Moodle with ldap authentication, although we aren't using IIS for the internal version of the Moodle, externally we use IIS because only IIS could cope with the certificate to allow https sign-on. I installed Apache instead internally as I had also had previous problems with IIS referencing material and couldn't get a rewrite rule to work.

However that said, our ldap authentication uses a specific moodleadmin administrator level AD account to bind to ldap so our bind distinguished name is cn=moodleadmin, ou=<the ou that moodleadmin is in>,ou=<the service accounts ou>,ou=<the school's ou>,dc=<1st part of school domain>,dc=school <the 2nd part of the domain>. It seems to work OK because I haven't had any complaints about people not being able to login. However, I personally then use a manually created Moodle admin account to administrate the Moodle installation, so that if ldap goes down for whatever reason I can still login successfully.

Our dereference aliases is also set to no with the user attribute set to samaccountname. We don't use SSO though because I found that triggered a login loop problem where it kept trying SSO; failing and then retrying.

Hope this has been of some help.

In reply to John Gifford

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I did have NTLM SSO enabled on this test one (IIS internally + externally) at one point, with external users authenticating via Forefront TMG. That took a lot of faffing by our TMG admin. But we've switched our plan to use Shibboleth SSO now, as for us that means users then can SSO straight into eResources.

It looks like we'll be using Shibboleth to power logging in to Office 365 when that is implemented over the summer too.