Clean Theme Not responsive on iPhone or iPad

Clean Theme Not responsive on iPhone or iPad

by Geoff Wildbur -
Number of replies: 4
I have been searching the forums for an answer to this issue and so far have not found one.

Currently using Moodle 2.6 and the Clean theme.

The issue I am having is that my pages are scrolling horizontally on both the iPhone and iPad. I would not call this responsive but maybe I am wrong.

Interestingly I was able to get the logo to be responsive despite the fact that without css mods the logo is not responsive in Clean.

Our test moodle site url is http://www.mysticalmindtraininges.org

Any help or feedback would be much appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Geoff Wildbur

Re: Clean Theme Not responsive on iPhone or iPad

by Geoff Wildbur -

Further investigation suggests that the issue is with the tables I have created in each of the course lessons. The theme itself is indeed responsive but does not handle tables. Does anyone know how to make the tables responsive?

by Alan Ball -

As a rule, they aren't (though you can use some css trickery to make them work). Have you tried just using alignment, or using the 'float' and 'max-width' css selectors?

In reply to Alan Ball

by Geoff Wildbur -

Hi Allan

Thanks for the response. I am not quite sure what you mean by using the max width etc. I know a little about css and html. Could you point me in the right direction, like which files I would have to change or perhaps some steps to take.

The issue is I have a set of courses that last about two years and all the pages are built with table. I am really hoping to not have to re-write them all.

Any help you or anyone else could provide would be much appreciated.

I guess I am surprised that this hasn't been an issue with a lot of others using moodle given the movement towards responsive sites etc.

by Geoff Wildbur -

I found out what needs to be done to all tables and images to make them responsive. A shout out here to studentweb.stcloudstate.edu/nosh0502/ for posting - http://www.slideshare.net/nosh0502/best-practices-in-moodle-course-development. It was very helpful. To summarize, in order to have tables responsive and the images inside them the following must be added to the table and image properties:

Tables - table-layout: fixed; width: 100%;

also any <td references to width must be set to 100%

Images - max-width: 90%; min-width: 35%; height: auto;

If using JWPlayer and you want the player to be responsive use the following:

width: '100%',
        aspectratio: "16:7"     the aspect ratio can be anything you want 16:7 works for me

I now have to go through the html for 24+ courses and change the code to match the above.

If anyone knows an easier way....... I am all ears!!!!