Anyone working on a DOMC question type "discrete option multiple choice"

Anyone working on a DOMC question type "discrete option multiple choice"

by Joseph Thibault -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Interesting new question type now available which might be valuable for Moodle: check out more info and a demo at http://trydomc.com/#/about

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Thibault

Re: Anyone working on a DOMC question type "discrete option multiple choice"

by Ewout ter Haar -

"Because the DOMC is a patented invention you need to complete a license agreement."

Just because of this someone should implement it in Moodle... I am not a lawyer, but to think this idea can be patented is pushing it. 

In reply to Ewout ter Haar

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Which moronic patent examiner let that one through? Hardly non-obvious. Just confirms my worst fears about patents. (I know what patents are supposed to do for society, but there is very little evidence that they actually work.)

Anyway, who cares. Minor tweak to multiple choice. CBM is a much more interesting idea if you ask me. Or, use a computer properly, and go for a constructed response question type.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I am not at all convinced of the claimed "superiority" of DOMC over a "normal", carefully constructed MCQ. And I agree with Tim that Moodle quiz's CBM feature is more interesting.

I have taken the "English Proficiency" sample test and my score was not terribly good.sad I felt quite frustrated not to be presented with the full set of choices, as I think in case of "natural language" testing, some choices may not be totally incorrect in themselves but not as correct as other ones. If the whole set is not displayed, how can you choose?

The whole DOMC thing looks to me as a purely commercial stunt.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I agree with Joseph (and Tim) I took the English proficiency test, prompted by Joseph , and got 100% (phew!) but was not in any way comfortable with the whole procedure and found it at times quite confusing- I wanted to see all the options first before "committing."

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

They (Caveon) called the ability to derive answers based on looking at other answers "testwiseness" which the creators of DOMC also attributed as much as 20% of students' grades in standards MCQ exams to (the ability to come to the correct answer based on the answers present).

I can see plusses and minuses, one of the major benefits would be that you are not forced to show all answers at once to a student (so test integrity might be a bit higher). 

I could see a similar approach to DOMC where 4 answers are always shown but perhaps randomly pulled from X correct and Y correct where total answers displayed is always < X + Y

by Joseph Thibault -

...maybe I should patent that.

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

...the things people will patent ... if they actually offered an implementation that people could make questions in and use .. more than just the idea with a price tag ...that'd be something ..

But anyway, A DOMCCMB question type would be innovation enough to distinguish it wouldn't it? As well as having a cool name. Perhaps I should patent that.