Students cannot reply to teacher in Single Simple Discussion Forum

Students cannot reply to teacher in Single Simple Discussion Forum

by Jade Tippett -
Number of replies: 6

I must be missing a permissions setting somewhere.  I set up a simple single discussion forum.  Students can rate my initial post, but cannot see the "Reply" link below my post.  I changed the mod/forum:replynews permission to add students to the allow roles.  No change. 

What gives?

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

--j

Jade Tippett

Computer Science Teacher

Ukiah High School

Ukiah, CA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jade Tippett

Re: Students cannot reply to teacher in Single Simple Discussion Forum

by Jade Tippett -

Doing some further digging, this seems to be connected to the Groups settings.  My course has 3 sections, so I set the course to Force Groups Mode.  When I set No Groups at the course level, the Groups settings become available at the individual Forum level.  Forcing groups at the individual forum duplicated the problem.  If I set the individual forum as No Groups, the problem goes away.  Go figure!

BTW, we are using Moodle 2.5.2 (Build: 20130909).

--j

In reply to Jade Tippett

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. Yes -please see Forum FAQ number 10 and also number 1. Why can't students in separate groups reply to a forum discussion started by a teacher?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jade Tippett -

I use "Each person posts one discussion" forums with groups forced at the course level all the time without any problems.  The only time I have run into this problem is when I try to use the single subject forum.

I read the FAQ #10, and went back to the test single subject forum I created.  I can select separate groups, "1 Period", etc  I can still see my initial entry to start the discussion, but there is no "Start a new discussion topic" button to copy and paste the content into as described in FAQ #10.  As a student user, I still cannot see the Reply link.

It sounds like the only way to have a single discussion restricted to one section's students is to create three duplicate forums, one for each section, without using the "Separate groups" setting.

Still confused.

--j

In reply to Jade Tippett

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello again. According to the section 'Group mode' in the forum documentation here Forum settings it doesn't seem possible for you to use the single simple discussion forum type with separate groups...

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jade Tippett -

Nope!  To use the Single Simple Discussion forum, I have to duplicate the assignment for each section.  I even tried adding student to my roll and adding myself to each section.  Students still cannot reply to my posts in group mode.

It'd be nice if it was different.

--j

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Troy Challenger -

See if this helps. It is from a similar question Re: Q&A Forum 2.6: No "Reply" link visible to students

Yes....the reply button does not appear...for single simple discussion format when there are separate groups.

We have come up with a workaround for creating the equivalent of a single simple discussion for a course for meta courses...but the same idea applies to any course where you are using separate groups.

It is a bit of effort to set up...but is transparent for the students to use once set up.

Here is a print how to.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CS6XidQyQOfkPwmm2AstB4oZ7U--n6k0I1Vr6FeUxF8/edit?usp=sharing

and a video we made.

http://youtu.be/kDrkXk9USvg