Moving Courses from 1.9.7 to 2.6

Moving Courses from 1.9.7 to 2.6

by Geoff Wildbur -
Number of replies: 5

First of all I am an absolute newbie to moodle. I have done some admin support and that is about all.
We currently have a moodle site running 1.9.7 and are wanting to create a Spanish version.
We have created a new site running 2.6 and I am now in the process of moving courses from the english site to the spanish site.

So after reading as much as I can I am currently trying to move over 1 course to see how this whole thing works. (now maybe I should just copy the whole site across and I am willing to do that also.)
I have backed up the course. Run it through conversionthingy2 and restored the course to the new spanish site. I have also moved over the pertinent moodledata directory.

So the issue is that some of the images are missing.  Now the mooodledata directory I moved over is moodledata/35 . That I can find. The issue is the image in /draftfile.php/5/user/draft/828297875/metaphysics_basics_x.jpg does not appear to show up and I have no idea where to look for that image on the server. In the 1.9.7 version of moodle everything seemed to be in the moodledata directory. I have no idea where this metaphysics_basics_x.jpg file is. Perhaps someone could point me to documentation that tells me more about the data directory hierarchy.

The other thing that occurs to me is that I am perhaps going about this in the wrong way and that I should create the new site in a different way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Geoff Wildbur

Re: Moving Courses from 1.9.7 to 2.6

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. Well first of all, you no longer need conversionthingie -  you should be able to put a 1.9 course into 2.6 and it will restore itself. You won't get any users though, but I assume you have already realised that. Your new Moodle site should already have  a moodledata directory created when the new site was made. Leave that alone; don't try to bring anything over because if the restored courses work correctly they should bring over the images and other files.

The way Moodle files are stored in 2.6 is quite different from 1.9 where you could physically (well virtually physically!) see them in the course files directory -this is no longer the case as they are encoded. Perhaps this might help you Course files

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Geoff Wildbur -

Thanks Mary. That feels good.

The issue then is where are the missing image files like:

www.mysticalmindtraininges/org/draftfile.php/5/user/draft/828297875/metaphysics_basics_x.jpg

by Geoff Wildbur -

I have resolved the missing image issue by using images from the Legacy Folder.

I also found out that changes are not saved to a course if one of the required fields is not completed. This took a while as no error message was posted. In my case it was a missing Description field.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello again. With regard to missing description fields, you can turn off the requirement to have a description in Site administration/Plugins/Activity modules/(name of activity)