Can quiz questions analyze lab data?

Re: Can quiz questions analyze lab data?

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is not possible with any of the standard Moodle question types.

It would be possible with STACK.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Halverson -

Good Morning,  Following Tim Hunt's suggestion I have installed the STACK question type.  Its very cool.  It brings the ability to create complex math questions, includes graphing (yes!!!), and it can intelligently parse the equations that the students create.   Following up on my previous question...  I would like for the student to input a few numbers from his/her physics lab into the question.  (e.g. moving object's location x1 at time t1 and location x2 at time t2.)  Then the student inputs his conclusion.  (The object's average velocity is ___.)  Then the STACK question would determine whether the student did the math OK.

So......  Now how can I approach this using STACK?  Would it involve a multipart STACK question?

Sincerely,

Peter Halverson

PS:  FYI for random readers, the STACK question depends on Maxima, an intelligent symbolic math program.  Its very powerful and worth showing to the students.  (Especially wxmaxima, with the nice graphical interface.)  But a drawback is that it is using a lot of CPU.  To get stack to work reasonably fast, I had to disable "instant verification" and increase the STACK timeout from 5 seconds to at least 15s.  (I have it set to 30 s now.)

In reply to Peter Halverson

by Joshua Bragg -

I had the same problem with speed at first.  Have you followed the directions here:  https://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack/blob/master/doc/en/CAS/Optimising_Maxima.md

I'm really interested in doing this also but haven't had the time to sit down to try it.  I did something somewhat similar with balancing reactions.  My goal was to allow all of the infinite possibilities when balancing a reaction. I've attached one of the questions so you can see how I did it.

By the way, if someone has an easier suggestion on how to make that balancing question work I'd love to see it.