Different attempts for same quiz give same questions despite random questions and shuffling

Different attempts for same quiz give same questions despite random questions and shuffling

by Cris Fuhrman -
Number of replies: 2

Moodle 2.4.

My goal is to make a quiz that students can take to practice the content (for the final exam).

I have a quiz that has something like

• 2 random questions from category A (containing questions: A1, A2, A3, A4)
  • 2 random questions from category B (containing questions B1, B2, B3, B4)
  • etc.

The quiz is set to unlimted attempts with a limited time to take the quiz.

Here's what happens:

Sally takes quiz; she gets A1, A4, B2, B3

Fred takes quiz; he gets A2, A3, B2, B4

Mary takes quiz; she gets A3, A4, B1, B2

Fred takes quiz again; he gets A2, A3, B3, B4  <-- the same questions as the first attempt

Sally takes quiz again; she gets A1, A4, B2, B3 <-- the same questions as the first attempt 

etc.

After typing the above (and knowing from experience that supposed "bugs" often turn out to be "features"), I found the problem: The advanced feature (that was hidden, and turned on by default) "Each attempt builds on the last" was set to "yes".

Two remarks about this confounding situation:

1. "show more" takes up as much space in the GUI as the single item "each attempt builds on the last". What's the purpose of adding a hide/show button that hides one item (only). Seems like superfluous code. It would make sense if it was hiding 5 advanced configuration items, but one?
  2. I don't recall setting this to be "yes" ever. So, if it's the default setting to be "yes" (and hidden), it seems particularly wicked. 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cris Fuhrman

Re: Different attempts for same quiz give same questions despite random questions and shuffling

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

2. By default, in a new Moodle install, this setting is false. https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/mod/quiz/settings.php#L132. Admin -> Reports -> Config changes may tell you when it was changed and by whom.

1. The quiz has very many settings. Some of them are not relevant to some institutions. Thefore, we let admins choose which settings should be considered 'advanced' and hidden behind 'Show more...' on each site. There are defaults which have not changed since 'Show more...' was introduced.

If someone wants to look through all the settings in mod/quiz/settings.php and make a reasoned argument about what the defaults should be now, I will listen.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Different attempts for same quiz give same questions despite random questions and shuffling

by Cris Fuhrman -

Thanks Tim. Your reply is very helpful. I will follow up with admins.