Restricting student access to courses until previous course is passed

Restricting student access to courses until previous course is passed

by Alyson Gombos -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I am designing an internal training program for my company, and we want for students to have to progress through the courses in a specific manner so that they cannot move onto a new course without getting a passing grade on quizzes and assignments from the previous courses. I was looking at the "restrict access" section of these courses, but it looks like you can only restrict access dependent upon passing grades to modules within the same course, not between separate courses. Looking for a plugin which addresses this concern has also been fruitless. It seems like the functionality should be present, but I'm completely stumped.

Please advise? Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alyson Gombos

Re: Restricting student access to courses until previous course is passed

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Hi Alyson,

some possibilities coming to my mind that may take advantage of conditional access to course activities and sections as well as activity and course completions :
- use activity conditional access on course A to reveal a label containing an enrollment key for course B only when certain conditions on course A are met. Configure subsequent courses in the same way.
- use course completion to set completion criteria for course B only if course A is completed, and so on for subsequent courses (note this will not prevent access to other courses but will prevent course completions, a configuration that in some usage scenarios works perfectly)
- use a Moodle course as "course container", for example each Moodle course section can be considered as one of your courses, and use conditional access to sections according to needs.