Moodle Crash

Moodle Crash

by Jatin Patel -
Number of replies: 10

I use windows server 2008 enterprise R2 64 bit and installed moodle 2.6.2+, hardware wise has dual xeon processors and 24 gig of ram

the start moodle works very good but when 180 students appear the QUIZ  the apache, moodle and mysql crashes every 15 mts.

after i click the start moodle it works good for about 15 mts again and does the same thing... some times it is less than 15 mts but mostly every 15 mts it is crashing.... i know there are some settings out there so please if a expert or any one can suggest what can i do.

(Subject edited by Howard Miller - original submission Wednesday, 26 March 2014, 12:42 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jatin Patel

Re: Moodle Crash

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Please make sure you use sensible subjects... it's only urgent for you wink

What does "crash" look like? What happens, exactly? What's in your web server error log when it goes wrong? What is the specification of your server (how much RAM, is it a VM etc.)?  

What have you done to debug the problem? Have you any monitoring set up on the server (I don't know anything about Windows, so can't advice further on that)?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Jatin Patel -

thanks for that ... new here so ...

well.... my server configuration is two xeon processors with 24 gigs of ram.

on the quiz taking computer it says cannot find the server and it is asking me to try again but when i run the start moodle on the server and click try again on the quiz taking computer it works good.but after 15 mts same thing again.

i am not that good at this so dont know how to do debug and stuff... i dont know if windows server is causing the problem or i have to change the number of handlers in apache server.

please help

thanks a lot again

In reply to Jatin Patel

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Did you install using xampp (or something like it)? Xampp is only intended for development use, you will be in trouble if you try to use it for a large, production site - especially on Windows. 

Is that 180 people all trying to take a quiz at the same time?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Jatin Patel -

hello sir

thanks for the reply...

yes it was installed with xampp.... i dont know about that tech thing... what can i use to overcome of it.

please if you can guide.

thanks a million

In reply to Jatin Patel

by Howard Miller -

You're only answering half my questions (I ask them for a reason wink )

If you are installing Moodle for a full, production service then you can't really use xampp. You need at least some basic knowledge as a server admin but start by reading Installing_Moodle

In reply to Jatin Patel

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

xampp is probably the cause of your performance issues. Get it off your system!

Then do it this way:

Enable IIS 7.5 on the server and make sure it's tuned and working nicely. Make sure you select the CGI role. That will allow you to install PHP under FastCGI - you want to do that on Windows.

Once IIS is running download the PHP .zip archive from php.net. Extract it and then map the php-cgi.exe file to the .php extension in IIS.

Download and install MySQL and phpMyAdmin. Create a blank database for Moodle. Create a database user.

Run PHPInfo() to confirm that PHP is running properly.

Download the latest Moodle .zip package from download.moodle.org and extract it to a folder on the computer.

Create an application in IIS for Moodle and point it to that Moodle folder. Set the default page to the index.php file in the Moodle folder.

Go to http://yourserver.com. The Moodle installer should be triggered. Follow the instructions to install Moodle.

http://www.bfcnetworks.com/whitepapers/ has some really good whitepapers that explain the process nicely - for MySQL and MSSQL. But they do leave out a few things - like the extensions that you need to enable in your php.ini file (php_intl.dll, php_xsl.dll, php_curl.dll, etc... See http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/PHP#Installing_.28missing.29_extensions)

But before you do ANYTHING, first spend some quality time reading the Moodle installation documentation on http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Installing_Moodle. It will do you lot of good.

On Windows, learning to install Moodle this way can be more time consuming, but you gain intimate knowledge of the process which means that you'll be better qualified to maintain and support that Moodle installation. If you don't want to do that, then you should probably get somebody who knows how to do it for you - hire a techie or a partner.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Jatin Patel -

thanks a lot

that was very good info... but one question...

i am a newbie.... and dont have much idea about making a local server to let about 200+ students to take quiz at a time...

is it better to go with ubuntu desktop version or windows server 2008 r2 and is there any list or some type of document how do i install that.. this will help me a lot if there is any...

thanks again

In reply to Jatin Patel

by Robert Brenstein -
Ubuntu will be better than Windows for sure. 180-200 people taking a quiz at the same time can stress the server to the limit and beyond. The latter will cause crashes and/or freezes. Quizzes put really heavy load on the server. Further, you may not have enough RAM for this. You should study carefully information in the intro of the hardware and performance forum and read many of the threads there. You will likely find all the answers.
In reply to Jatin Patel

by Howard Miller -

Building a Moodle site to deliver 200 simultaneous quizzes really isn't the place to start if you are not sure about what you are doing. There is sufficient information in the documentation to help you but you will have a big learning curve.

If you have a choice, Linux will always be easier to set up than Windows. Easier, not easy. 

Make sure you read carefully the installation instructions AND the performance guidelines (and act upon them).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jatin Patel

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

If you're a "newbie" and you don't have the time to learn how to do it properly then, like I said in the previous post, getting somebody to do it for you will be best - especially if you're planning to have 200+ students all doing a quiz at the same time!

We've already posted links to lots of documentation for you read - and believe me, it will take a while to go through it all! wink