Using Fantastico to Move moodle to New URL

Using Fantastico to Move moodle to New URL

by Thomas Bray -
Number of replies: 3
Hi Moodlers:

I'm changing hosts and servers and URL's, but I really, really want to save my moodle content from the old server.

Both my old server and new one use Fantastico, otherwise I'd be lost trying to install Moodle.

Could anyone walk me through the process of moving from old to new, using Fantastico as my main install mechanism on the new site?

I'm guessing I need to somehow get the database from the old into the new...

Thanks,

Thom
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Bray

Re: Using Fantastico to Move moodle to New URL

by Art Lader -

Well, if you do have shell access, this look pretty straightforward: http://www.alt-php-faq.org/local/61/ . Of course, nothing is ever as easy as it seems... But I don't know about using Fantastico.

I am sure that someone will jump in here to help you.

Good luck, Thom!

-- Art

In reply to Thomas Bray

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
When I moved from one hosting service to another (each using Fantastico), I did a very simple procedure which did not involve touching Fantastico or the MySQL databases. If you have many courses, I am sure there is a faster way, doing whole site backup--but I have never tried that.
  1. backup each course individually (or if you do a backup of whole Moodle site, be sure to set a good location for that massive zip file to be)
  2. FTP into your old hosted site and download those backup file(s) into your home computer
  3. set up Moodle at your new site using fantastico (note the location/path to your moodledata folder)
  4. FTP into your new hosted site and upload your backup(s) into the moodledata folder
  5. open Moodle at the new hosted site and do a restore of each course one by one
Voila!
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Thomas Bray -
Thank you all for your help with this.

T