Soooo Slow

Soooo Slow

by Jay S -
Number of replies: 9
Moodle is running so slow. Why???

Page sizes are 12K for home page and 60K for a course page.

I think that it is the database, not sure how to tell though.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jay S

Re: Soooo Slow

by Kam Weng Chai -

Hi there,

What is the server hardware specification?

Chai

In reply to Kam Weng Chai

by Stuart Sim -
Hi Kam,

The server spec depends on the deployment size. I have tested on smaller machines (220R) running Solaris 10 x86.
Are you deploying Moodle on Solaris?

Regards,

Stuart
In reply to Jay S

by Michael Penney -
First step in getting advice would be to tell us how many users you have and what kind of server you have, e.g. Is it a shared host or a dedicated server?

Most shared servers where you are paying $5-$15/month for a site are not set up to handle more than a few people at a time in a database driven application of any sort.

Also on a shared host that runs fine most of the time, if one or a few of the other sites on the host get suddenly or periodically popular it can slow all the other ones down, regardless of how many people are on your site.

In reply to Jay S

by Brad Zehr -
I updated yesterday from 1.4.3 to 1.5, and immediately saw a tremendous slowdown in the loading of the main course page (view.php).  I am talking some 15 to 20 seconds.  No changes were made other than the upgrade.  This course has no students yet, so the user load was 1: me. Is there optimization that can remedy this?
In reply to Brad Zehr

by N Hansen -
Perhaps the theme? It has a lot of bloat in it that can be cut back on depending on what you need in it.
In reply to N Hansen

by Brad Zehr -
Actually, it turns out this is a known issue which was addressed in the daily stable build, and is missing from the 1.5 beta.  All IE 6.0 browsers have the issue on that build - has to do with the problem with a specific file.  In the meantime, I am using Mozilla Firefox, which does not have the issue, until I get the chance to upgrade to the new version.
In reply to Brad Zehr

by Samuli Karevaara -
This might be an issue with the new theme (IE+hover effect over tabs, see bug 3453). This has been fixed, but only in a later 1.5+, not in the original 1.5.

Can you try to upgrade (still) to 1.5+?
In reply to Jay S

by J.K. Tan -
After upgrading to 1.4.5 (not ready for 1.5 yet), my Moodle site is crawling like crazy.

Any remedy? (Other than switching back to 1.4.4).