Embed some text in the editor for an inline text assignment

Embed some text in the editor for an inline text assignment

by Kim Sheehan -
Number of replies: 4

We have a number of exercises which are currently Moodle inline text assignments in which the students will revise sentences and paragraphs.  Currently I'm having the students copy the text out of the assignment description and paste it into the editor.  It would be great if I could "seed" the text editor with the starting text for each assignment.  Do you know of a way to do that?  Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kim Sheehan

Re: Embed some text in the editor for an inline text assignment

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

One way I have done this in the past is to implement the 'Templates' option within TinyMCE, but that does take a bit of setting up and fiddling with TinyMCE code itself.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Kim Sheehan -

I had seen some posts mentioning templates, and was wondering if that might be a solution. So I'm very glad to get your response.  May I ask a few follow-up questions?

1) Can templates be developed for a course, and stay local to a course?  Or at least be invisible to the rest of our college?

2) I'm not an administrator, just a course developer.  Would I need an administrator to work with me?

3) I can get some help on the TinyMCE fiddling.  But the project would entail producing over 100 templates with specific content (paragraphs or sets of sentences to revise) in them.  After we get one working, can a non-programmer paste the specific content in each? (The content is currently in HTML.)

4) If we have the set of templates, where would the call to the template exist?

Thank you!

In reply to Kim Sheehan

by Marty Soupcoff -

Are you wed to using the Assignment module for this task? In 2.5, quiz essay templates were introduced (see here and here) which seem to fit your bill. Not sure what version you're on or the particulars about your assignment but you could use quizzes instead of assignments.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Kim Sheehan -

Thanks, I didn't know of that.  It sounds perfect, but we've just upgraded to 2.4!