Security Concerns

Security Concerns

by Nat Ryles -
Number of replies: 5

Hi

I am a teacher in a college and I am trying to get the admins to enable web services so we can all use mobile apps.

Im struggling though, they are worried about security.

Is there anything you guys can help me out with here?

Thanks

Nat.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nat Ryles

Re: Security Concerns

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

If you're using HTTPs it's fine. Add in good firewalling and that's about as secure as moodle gets. The official app handles password security on its own.

HTH

In reply to Dave Perry

by Nat Ryles -

Thanks for your reply, I will forward it on to the admins here at the college.

Im not sure what you said actually means though smile

The college seems to have concerns about an app that can access Moodle data so can access be restricted to just the official app or does enabling web services open up Moodle to any app?

In reply to Nat Ryles

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

It would open up the services to any app yes, but most of the apps I've seen require you to have some other code on the server to work. At least the inbuilt web services are stable code that isn't new (web services aren't a new thing in moodle, but an app that makes proper use of them is only a last year or so thing) - and as it's core code, it's been reviewed by moodle HQ too so I'd trust that more (unless a 3rd party one documented its security practices).

In reply to Nat Ryles

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

it is secure, WebServices will be enabled only for the services exposed, the Mobile service expose WS functions that are read-only mainly and that functions are executed only with permissions of the current user using the mobile app

So if I access as a student, I will execute the WebServices with my student permissions (so I will only receive the list of my courses, my calendar events, etc..)