How big is Moodle

How big is Moodle

by Brian Merritt -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

OK, search is NOT everything, but in terms of searching for information...

Check out Google Trend's view on:

Moodle -vs- Cloud Computing -vs- Big Data

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=moodle%2C%20cloud%20computing%2C%20big%20data&cmpt=q

Moodle massively outranks both cloud computing and big data combined smile

Attachment moodlevscloudvsbigdata.png
Average of ratings: Very cool (2)
In reply to Brian Merritt

Re: How big is Moodle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Of course... Moodle is a thing (software you can download). 'Cloud computing' and 'big data' are figments of a marketing person's imagination. I would rather compare with something that exists wink

Having said that, I find that surprising. Nobody seems to be able to shut up for two minutes about 'cloud computing' (whatever that is) at the moment...

Average of ratings: Cool (3)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Jez H -

Depends on your interpretation really:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

I think your issue lies a couple of lines down:

"In common usage, the term "the cloud" is essentially a metaphor for the Internet."

and the fact clustered hosting is sold as "cloud"...

On a sort of related note, thought this was pretty cool:

Average of ratings: Cool (2)
In reply to Jez H

by Floyd Saner -

Love the Lego computer.  It reminds me of a story told by a guy I worked with many years ago.  In his prior job he worked for a company that was working on a pneumatic computer for the military - really.  The idea, according to him, was that a pneumatic computer would not be affected by electromagnetic interference.  I bet it computed about as fast as the Lego computer.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Howard

> Moodle is a thing ...

Now I know why it is "das Moodle" and not "der" or "die" Moodle!

> I would rather compare with something that exists

Oh, the cloud is very real: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=254425#p1104001.

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We get this a lot on here though don't we - "I'm going to host Moodle in the cloud". Means, of course, precisely nothing. But it sounds a hell of a lot cooler than "we don't have the resources to host Moodle ourselves". 

Perhaps I am too cynical. However, for almost every client conversation I have that involves 'The Cloud' somewhere, the followup question is "Hmmm... so what is it exactly you are proposing to do?" wink

Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (4)

by Jez H -

Well it could mean you have it running on large distributed infrastructure that auto provisions additional resources as they are required and scale back down again when they are not...

For the most part it seems to mean rack n stack cheap vm's.

As for "dont have the resources to host Moodle ourselves" what exactly does "host ourselves" mean?

I would wager most Moodle partners dont own their own servers, they are almost certainly leased, perhaps some co-locate.

I believe BlackBoard Moodlerooms were hosting on Dells Cloud infrastructure, not sure if they are on BB's own hardware now. Others describe hosting in nuclear bunkers protected by drones, claymore's and attack dogs, clearly not their own DC which means they are not physically hosting the server even if they own it so really, whats the difference?

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Jez H

by Howard Miller -

Goodness no... our servers are "in the cloud". 

Actually, I think you'll find they are in a room with a lot of racks and air condition in the Netherlands someplace wink

My point is that clients just say this without (clearly) having any idea what they mean. Not all but most. "We have to have some of that cloud stuff". 

Almost nobody runs their own servers - who would want to?

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Moodle.org appears to be hosted by CloudFlare (a US company) with the country listed as the EU and the flag (in FlagFox) plonked in Switzerland, which isn't in the EU.

I guess that makes the cloud quite "fuzzy."

In reply to Matt Bury

by Brian Merritt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I've had good results with Digital Ocean, although I'm not sure the 100% SSD is providing all of the benefits that it should. Running 4 or 5 development/staging servers off one 2gb instance seems to be fine, so long as they aren't approaching production volumes.

But my delight was in finding Moodle outperforming such ubiquitous if somewhat hyped terms as cloud computing and big data!

by dawn alderson -

Brian, hi

do forgive me if I am repeating your point here, can be two days behind smile

given that open source (Moodle) is the only unadulterated one out of the three....then surely in consistently leading the way, this is a good thing.

cheers,

Dawn

by Sam Thing -

I have a full portable installation with database and webserver on my pendrive that comes in at about 350mb :p