problem duplicating a quiz with random questions in moodle 2.5.3+

problem duplicating a quiz with random questions in moodle 2.5.3+

by Linda Lewis -
Number of replies: 0

We're using moodle 2.5.3+ (Build: 20131213).  The problem we just experienced is with duplicating a quiz that contains random questions.  A quiz was created and 2 questions from a system category were added.  These questions were not worth any points - one is an informational question and the other asks them to agree to the honor code.   Then 16 random questions from a category in the question bank called "2014 Quiz 1" were added to the quiz.  The quiz contained 18 questions and totaled up to 16 points.  This quiz was duplicated and the duplicated quiz said it was worth 16 points but it only appeared to contain 13 of the 16 random quiz questions for a total of 15 questions.  I previewed the quiz and it was really missing 3 questions so I added 3 more random quiz questions to bring it up to the full 16 questions.  I had to override the total points to make them 16 because it said the points totaled up to 19 - obviously it thought the quiz contained the full 16 questions originally.  I previewed the quiz and everything looked fine.  However when the students took the duplicated quiz, it only gave them .84 points for each correct answer instead of 1 point because it thought the quiz should be worth 19 points and I said it was worth 16 points.  I tried to override the question grades to give the students 1 point but it said they already earned 1 point per question so it wouldn't change their grade.   I ended up overriding their quiz grades in the grade book to give them their correct total score of 1 point per question. 

I know this problem doesn't happen when we duplicate quizzes with questions that are not randomly added.  We duplicate quizzes all the time to make multiple versions of quizzes that have different time limits for students with accommodations that allow them extra time for taking tests.  However, this is the first time I've tried duplicating a quiz with random questions since we upgraded to version 2.5.3 in December.

I've attached images of the editing page of the original quiz and the duplicated quiz so you can see the difference.  If anyone knows of a fix for this problem, I would appreciate the help.

Linda

Attachment OriginalQuiz.png
Attachment ProblemWithDuplicatedQuiz.png
Average of ratings: -