Moodle Slow on Firefox and Chrome

Moodle Slow on Firefox and Chrome

by Mira El-koussa -
Number of replies: 12

Hello ,

i read somewhere that it is better to use firefox or chromem when using moodle. however, my site is very slow on these two browsers but very very fast on IE.  i dont want to restrict users by using only IE. what can be firefox or chrome problem ?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mira El-koussa

Re: Moodle Slow on Firefox and Chrome

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It shouldn't be. So... what version of Moodle? What theme? If a custom theme, have you tried a standard one? How slow is slow and how fast is fast? Have you checked the performance report (might have your site in some odd mode)?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mira El-koussa -

I'm running Moodle 2.4. i tried the standard theme and another built in theme same problem.

slow (firefox/Chrome) : 20s

Fast (IE9/IE10):4s

What is the performance report ?!

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok - I would guess that some artefact is failing to load in Chrome/Firefox. Are you absolutely certain that they are all configured the same way (especially with respect to proxies). 

The next step is to find out what is causing the slow load time. In Firefox (for example) go to Tools > Developer > Network and load one of your slow pages. Look at the report - what item(s) is/are causing the slow response?

In Moodle, check Site Administration > Reports > Performance overview

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Mira El-koussa -

okey , thank you i will check these. Appreciate ur help

by Mira El-koussa -

i did nt find anything related to performance overview in site administration--> Reports.

Pls check the attachement

Attachment Snapshot.PNG

by Howard Miller -

Maybe it's only in newer versions. How did the 'Network' diagnostic in Firefox work out?

by Mira El-koussa -

im getting on firefox lots of "transfering" from the site and waiting .. is it possible that the scripting is being done on the client side ?? if so why i dont have this pb on IE

Attachment Snaphshot 1.PNG
Attachment Snapshot2.PNG

by Howard Miller -

Is rawdafayha.net you?

If you let it run out, you should get a list of the component parts of the page and how long they took. My guess would be that if the page takes 20 seconds to load one (or very few) items will actually be causing the greater part of that. We need to know what they are. 

by Mira El-koussa -

yes , this is our website.

okey thank you for ur help

APPREICIATE

by David Foster -

I have exactly the same issue.  Did you ever find a solution for this?

In reply to David Foster

by David Foster -

For future visitors:

We found the issue was part of a debugging routine in the theme settings area.

Administration -> Appearance -> Themes -> Themes Settings

The Theme designer mode box was checked during initial modification of the theme and then we failed to uncheck at deployment.  This had a dramatic effect on the speed of Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.  It didn't impact IE noticeably.

Hopefully this will be helpful to others.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)