Some teaching resources

Some teaching resources

by Phil Brown -
Number of replies: 3
These are some of the teaching resources I find handy. Most of you will probably be familiar with these but there are always new teachers  joining these forums who would probably appreciate trying these out.

Wink is a Open Source (OS) program that allows you to build animated screen dumps in Flash. It's great for demonstrating the processes of any computer program.

Audacity is an OS program that allows you to record and builds mp3 files which have many audio applications in Moodle.

Course Genie you have to pay for. It is a plug in for MS Word and builds SCORMs that run in Moodle. It is the easiest method I have found for building SCORMs and is extremely flexible. If anyone has come across an OS SCORM builder it would be great to try it out.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phil Brown

Re: Some teaching resources

by John Blake -
I like Wink and Course Genie. I have never seen them before. They run on Windows and I have a few Windows computers in my school. I can use them when creating demos in Window software. I have Audacity installed on my PowerBook and class iBooks, and have used it trying to create Podcasts with my students.

OS is the way to go. I would like to find a Wink like software that would work on OS X (10.3). We have not upgraded to Tiger and I am not sure we will due to budgetary reasons.
In reply to John Blake

by Phil Brown -
John,

Wink runs on Linux so it may compile on the new Mac OS which is built on BSB but I'm not sure. They have an active, forum you could ask on that.
In reply to Phil Brown

by Phil Brown -
Another one I forgot to mention but I think it is fairly well known is EasyPHP.  It is  a webserver which will run Apache, Mysql and PHP on any windows computer - as a web server (Localhost). I've installed it on my laptop and run the development versions of Moodle. It's great for trying things out before junking up your good school server. There are other benefits as well. When you open up the web serving directory (eg: c:\Program Files\EasyPHP1-7\www\Moodle\) and edit some of the files in a text editor like Crimson All you need to do is refresh the web page to see instant results. In fact any CMS requiring a Mysql database and PHP will run on the web server.