Using Moodle to teach English as second language

Using Moodle to teach English as second language

by Al-Ayham Saleh -
Number of replies: 14

I plan to add an english course to my moodle. Does anybody know whether there are FREE english course materials that we can implement into moodle.

This course should be useful to any moodle site, and if it is included into the moodle installation, everybody can have something to teach at once.

Can anybody refer me to any online english course materials?

thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Al-Ayham Saleh

Re: Using Moodle to teach English as second language

by Bob Calder -
Hi Al! There are tons of resources that can be found at:
Ask Eric
It is a good place to start on lesson plan freebies. Unfortunately, most of them are for small children. I wish I knew of some for you. sad
Bob
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Al-Ayham Saleh

by Timothy Takemoto -

Hi Saleh (is that the right appelation / if I may)

I can't offer you any right now, but I plan to create some materials for teaching English.

I think that we need an extension of the "cloze" format where it is possible to write something like
(This is from memory so it is probably incorrect)

The man walked {~by, =along, ~in,  ~to} the road.

and then import it. That way we would be able create lots of multiple choice, free response,
quizzes using software that we are used to using (our favourite text editor or Excel or whatever).

I also think that we need timed quizzes. (I have been ordered to create timed web based
testing).

But I am not php savvy nor do I have the time right now. But the ability to have lots of quizzes,
with comments on each answer, hints which affect the grade in defined ways, and branching
depending on what answer the student gives (to more of the same type of question if they get it
wrong, different new questions if they get it right) would be helpful in the ESL world.

I think that Martin is (rightly in the case of content courses) a constructionist that is not that into
quizzing, so it is up to us to work out ways of adding this functionality.

Martin's philosphy is right too in an ideal ELS world. I am into constructionism in ESL too
but with shy, lowish motivation Japanese students, the need for bulk quizzing is moot.
I am using Quiztest
http://www.tesol.net/scripts/QuizTest/
to create online tests so that I can get my students to work without doing lots of marking.
I spend a lot of time marking right or wrong answers and entering them into the grade book.
I would like to be able to spend less time doing such repetative marking, have a computer
do the marking and then spend my time speaking to students on line, and offering more
interesting ways to interact. Lately I have had some success with my robot at
http://timothy.vhost.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk-oddcast?botid=b2731c0d1e342bd9
It would be great to be able to integrate robots into the moodle database but that would
need extensive cooperation between the robot providers and moodle.

LON Capa, one of Moodles competitors, interfaces with "hotpotatoes." Hotpotates is not 
open source/GNU so I am not keen to use it but it would be nice to find some open source
quizzing alternative that we might be able to integrate. The hotpotatoes quizzing software is
here
http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/halfbaked/

As it stands, I have no idea how to expand the moodle database to take account of things like
timing, or branched quizzes. Maybe during the summer holidays?

If we could get a team together to attempt to add to the quizzing functions then that would be
good. But perhaps in non-Japanese, high motivation environment's, moodle's extensive
interaction functionality (lots of forums) is enough?

Umm...I have still not move over to moodle in my ESL due to the difficulty of creating lots of
quiz questions.  

In the short term we could attempt to share our quizzes using moodle's present functionality.
When I have some quizzes to share, I will share them.

What functionality do you think that we need?

In general I think that "content forums," specifically a English Teaching Materials content forum
would be a help. But then again, I could post stuff here if I had stuff to post.  

Confused in Yamaguchi,

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Hi Tim,

I'd be interested to know in what way LON Capa 'interfaces' with hot potatoes. Is it possible to upload hotpotatoes quizzes into LON Capa and then have user and score tracking? If yes, how much tracking is available? Is it only the basic amount of tracking that hotpotatoes.net offers (just the final score, time when the quiz taken and time spent in the quiz), or does it also include student's actual answers?

Cheers,
Przemek
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Timothy Takemoto -

Sorry Przemek, I don't know. I only know that LON Capa is meant to integrate with hotpotatoes.
I have not attempted to load LON Capa onto my server. I think that I would want to set up my
on server before I try.

Hotpotatoes as a stand alone has the option of sending the results as a mail to someone.
I have not even tried that. I wonder if it sends the answers. Should not be difficult. The
Hotpotatoes site says that it is okay to modify their perl.

Perhaps it would be possible to alter the Perl to enable Hotpotatoes to be integrated with
moodle. Perl comes with all sorts of modules for manipulating databases.

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
I have used the hot potatoes email option a few times and no, it doesn't send the actual answers. It only sends the time the quiz was finished and the total score. It's not much sad The hotpotatoes.net, which is a specialized hosting service for hot potatoes quizzes offers a little more (i.e. the time when the quiz was started, which together with the time when the quiz was finished gives the time in the quiz), but still not the actual answers, if I remember correctly. That is why I wondered how this is done in LON Capa, and whether it provides also the info about student's answers.

Hot Potatoes use the perl script (Formmail) only to send out the messages to the teacher, the quiz data is sent to the script by a form with hidden fields in the quiz page, so integrating this basic tracking functionality with Moodle wouldn't be - I guess - very difficult for someone who knows a little php. And there would be no need to modify the perl script, or even to use it. Modifying the html page with a little php code would simply enable sending of the data to a mysql database rather than to the Formmail script. However, if someone wanted to record student's answers as well (not only total score), it would require more tampering with the hotpotatoes code.

Constructivism and Quizzes May Fit

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Tim wrote:
> I think that Martin is a constructionist who is not that into quizzing
>(rightly in the case of content courses), so it is up to us to work out ways
>of adding this functionality. I am into constructionism in ESL too but with
>shy, lowish motivation Japanese students, the need for bulk quizzing is moot.

I use quizzes a lot in teaching English in Japan, but I don't think they contradict constructivism. I use them not for grading, but for motivation. Allowing students to do multiple attempts to reach 100% as an out-of-class supplemental exercise works well for quick and frequent feedback. It recycles the vocabulary and prepares them for writing longer sentences on a topic. This is done by weekly forum questions. Then longer projects can be assigned to students to summarize all responses to a forum.

I think if we look at quizzes a little less seriously, with a bit of playfulness, they can be a lot of fun. For example, when "wrong" answers are given, we should be able to offer humorous feedback, or better yet, combine it with hints in the feedback to allow a better guess next time. Of course, developing good feedback is time consuming, but this quiz bank is getting larger and is reusable year after year. And if as Tim suggests, we can share amongst schools, we could have an enormous resource.

I don't know the theoretical basis of what I am talking about, but gaming and simulation research has a lot to offer us. Also in Task-Based Instruction, the common thought is that in a task chain, you gradually build up to higher level learning processes. Quizzes can be part of the first steps in a learning task chain.

Don Hinkelman
Sapporo Gakuin University
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Constructivism and Quizzes May Fit

by Ger Tielemans -

I agree, teachers at my schools ask for the same reason "hotpotatoes-like"-quizzes: just find (also playfull motivating) ways to get students work with the resources of a subject in different ways.

Another way of using quizzes is: "Let students construct a quiz question for - lets say - page 4 and let them explain the correctness of the 4 answers, you will be suprised about so many misconceptions on page 4.."  (Moodle must get a quiz-create-option for students then, or they deliver it as a essay and you bring in all these quiz questions..)

Interfacing with hotpotatoes: I took some output from hotpotatoes exercises and made an resource of it for Moodle... The point is that it will stay black-boxes for Moodle and they will never end-up in the student-overviews of Moodle. (I think that I have to look in the create newmodule_template.zip, but  on the moment that is broken in CVS.)

In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Constructivism and Quizzes May Fit

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I agree with you, Don.

Tim unintentionally misrepresented me a little there - I'm not into content-based courses, and my beef with quizzing is only when it's used as the main form of assessment (usually in content-based courses).

ie read all this stuff; do a quiz; here's your grade; bye!

I see a disturbing tendency towards this approach to online learning from some quarters - I think the primary reason is because it's extremely easy on a teacher - "I can sit back and just let them run through the maze I've built - they teach themselves"! wink

When quizzes are thought of as an activity that is just one tool in a range of possible activities, they certainly can be very useful. If the grades aren't much then cheating ceases to be an issue. I've used them in courses myself in exactly the way Don mentions. In my case they were fun things to highlight certain ideas and facts that came out in preceding forums.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
>I think that we need an extension of the "cloze"
>format where it is possible to write something
>like
>The man walked {~by, =along, ~in, ~to} the road.

Moodle already has exactly this feature! It's called the "Missing Word" format (look for the import button on the quiz category page). I'd not heard of the name "cloze" at the time, but a search on goodle.com wink seems to show it's the popular name for that format. My version doesn't use commas:

The man walked {~by =along ~in ~to} the road.

> with shy, lowish motivation Japanese students, the need for bulk quizzing is moot.

I'm interested to hear more about this conclusion. Are they motivated by grades? Have you considered grading them on journals, forums and assignments?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thanks Martin,

When I said "extension of the cloze format,"  I meant an extension of the moodle cloze
format. I know it exist but I would love it to include comments on each answer, (already
supported by the database), grading (as Tom has recently implemented, and also supported
by the database), multiple choice question layout, flashcard style shuffling of the queston pack
such that porroly resonded questions come out more. I would also like to see, tree esponse
question layout, and timing.  Maybe in the summer.

Yes my students are motivated by grades. They are also motivated (as Tom says) but simply
being able to do quizzes. And perhaps (as Quiztest allows) the possibility of being on "high
score" chart shown to all sudents. They are so non communicative and or scared of
communication that it is difficult to get them to submit to journals, forums and assignments
but that is one of the things that I would like to get them to do.

You really need to try teaching English to Japanese students before you can get an idea of the
silence. I have taught learners of other nationalities and the experience is very different. I have
been in classrooms were it is difficult to progress with the lesson since there are so many
questions. But not in Japan.

The quizzes would be a way of getting them to reach a point where they would start to
use the forums etc.

Good luck with moodle.com, I am try to spread the word.

Tim

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Przemyslaw Stencel -

Moodle already has exactly this feature! It's called the "Missing Word" format (look for the import button on the quiz category page). I'd not heard of the name "cloze" at the time, but a search on goodle.com seems to show it's the popular name for that format.

Actually, missing word (or short answer) is not a cloze task type. A classic cloze test is a longer passage with every nth word removed. The task is to recreate the text by putting in the missing words. However, this type is not very often used nowadays, and rightly so, because the words get removed at random without real pedagogical purpose. A more modern version of the cloze test is simply a text or passage with a number of words deleted. And this type can be very useful in teaching English as a foreign language, because it focuses on testing lexical and structural accuracy, common word collocations, etc. An example is in the attached zip file. Two main differences between Moodle's short-answer question and this cloze test are that 1/ there can be a lot of blanks in one question, and 2/ some blanks can have alternate (multiple) correct answers, e.g the third blank in the attached quiz can be answered with 'under', 'beneath' or 'underneath'.

A modified version of cloze test is a multiple-choice cloze, where for every gap there is a choice of answers to choose from (one correct and a few distractors). Again, an example in the attached zip file.

Neither of them is supported by Moodle at the moment. I have some experience with webct and they don't have any of these two question types either. However, it is possible to use their short-answer question in this way, because it allows to create a number of blanks for each question and specify which answer(s) can appear in which blank. It is not very elegant, because you get the text with numbered typed-in blanks (like this: (1)_____) which is then followed by the actual blanks (form fields), where the student writes the answers. Again, an example in the zip. However, I think this is not possible in Moodle at the moment.

With the multiple-choice cloze, there is a workaround in Moodle, though not perfect. You can create a number of multiple-choice questions and attach the text with blanks to the first one. However, the problem is that the whole set (all of these multiple-choice questions together with the text) should be treated as one question, and with this workaround it is treated as a number of multiple-choice questions.

These two question types (cloze and multiple-choice cloze) are definitely something I'd love to see implemented in Moodle, but knowing how busy Martin is I've never aksed for it, and I don't think I should wink On the other hand, I do not have the programming skills to do it myself or the financial resources to have it done by somebody else sad But who knows? Maybe in a few months?...

Just one final note: the tests in the attached files are not mine. They are taken from a sample of the Cambridge FCE exam available at http://www.cambridgeesol.org/support/dloads/ums.cfm

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Martin Dougiamas -
Until it was implemented properly, you could sort of fake this using a matching answer question.

by Robert Lefebvre -
IThis is a pretty old thread but I was having a hard time finding a newer one about tesol. We were going to start a Tesol course for Brazilian youth and was wondering what, if any, changes have been made to Moodle that help. Any pointers you can supply would be greatly appreciated.
In reply to Robert Lefebvre

by Mark Stevens -
Hi Robert,

Language teaching stuff has moved to:
http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=31

There are forums for language skills, guides for using multimedia, demonstrations,  research reports, links, and plenty of friendly people to bounce ideas off of.