Essential 2.6: Trying to reference an unknown block region hidden-dock

Essential 2.6: Trying to reference an unknown block region hidden-dock

by Stefan Oertel -
Number of replies: 13

Hi there, thanks for this nice theme.

I have the latest Moodle version on 2.5.x branch (2.5.4+ Build: 20140207) with the Essential theme 2.6 (Build: 20131008) - the latest for Moodle 2.5.x.

If I log in or enter the home site as an administrator I get this error. If I reload then the site in my browser (checked in 4 different browsers), the error is gone in two of three cases until I enter the home site again. I know this is a known problem and it was fixed in higher theme versions > 2.6. But we can't change to Moodle 2.6 at this moment so we can't use theme versions > 2.6.

I searched this forum, but I didn't found a solution for this problem in Essential 2.6. How can I fix this error?

Thanks, Stefan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Oertel

Re: Essential 2.6: Trying to reference an unknown block region hidden-dock

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Did you get Essential 2.6 from Moodle.org or GitHub?

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Stefan Oertel -

Hi Gareth,

I've downloaded the zip-file from moodle.org. But I've checked the version information in the version.php from GitHub and they were the same. Is it possible that the GiHub version nevertheless differs from the moodle.org version?

Thanks, Stefan

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

They are both the same 'version' but the code on GitHub is newer than Moodle.org.

by Stefan Oertel -

Thanks! I'll check the code from GitHub. 

by Julian Ridden -

And that is only the case with a few minor bug fixes. Nothing to the scale of the issue mentioned.

I cant update every week with new patches or I would drive admin's insane. At the end of this month I will release a sub-point release of Essential.

Julian

by Stefan Oertel -

Hi Gareth, hi Julian,

bad news sad

I deinstalled the old code via Moodle, erased the old files, purged the cache and installed the code from GitHub. The error " Trying to reference an unknown block region hidden-dock" has changed to  "Trying to reference an unknown block region home-left". It's the same thing - only as admin and only if I enter the home site.

I have tried to change the value for "frontpageblocks" to "right", but the error message is the same.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Double check your config.php file looks like this: https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential/blob/ESSENTIAL_26/config.php#L56 on the server as 'home-left' did not exist in the old version of the same version.

by Stefan Oertel -

I made a file compare - it's the same code. "home-left" is defined as a region in the "frontpage" part of the file.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, to be honest I don't now know what is going wrong.  Need to test locally.  Will take time.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, in both versions of the same version the code is ok for 'hidden-dock' and 'home-left' bar missing language strings for the 'home-left' version -> https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential/blob/ESSENTIAL_26/lang/en/theme_essential.php#L144.

I suggest that you, switch to another theme, delete all of the 'essential' folder and put back the moodle.org version, install, do a purge all caches, check that the 'config.php' file has a 'hidden-dock' entry for the 'frontpage' layout, turn on developer level debugging and try again.

by Stefan Oertel -

Hi Gareth, I installed the code from moodle.org in an test environment. There it works fine, but the same code on my "problem" system threw the error (see my first post).

Both systems (test and the "problem") have the same moodle version and the same plugins installed because they are clones of our master copy. The main difference is the visible blocks on the frontpage. So I configured the "bad" system like the testsystem and the error seems to be gone - with the new code from GitHub too. I don't know what's really happend, but I'm happy smile 

Thank you very much for your efforts and sorry for my cruel english wink

by jack liou -

I have similar problem when Plugins check:

Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Trying to reference an unknown block region side-post

theme/essential/config.php find admin in $THEME->layouts, add 'side-post' into regions element. then fix problem.

// Server administration scripts.

'admin' => array(

'file' => 'report.php',

'regions' => array('side-pre', 'side-post', 'footer-left', 'footer-middle', 'footer-right'),

'defaultregion' => 'side-pre',

)

Attachment unknown_block_region_site-port.png
In reply to jack liou

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well...I am not sure which version of Essential you are using but it looks like it is an old one ans the currect one does not have that code in the config.php in the Essential theme.

https://github.com/moodleman/moodle-theme_essential/blob/ESSENTIAL_26/config.php#L90-L95

So you really need to update your theme.