Themes

[BETA] Decaf 2.0 - Call for testers

Picture of Paul Nicholls
[BETA] Decaf 2.0 - Call for testers
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi all,

I've just released a BETA (I can't stress that enough) of a responsive version of Decaf, for Moodle 2.6 and above.  You can grab it from the plugins database.

Although the major Decaf functionality is in place (including a couple of new features that had been requested), there are a couple of things to note:

• The Awesomebar is not yet responsive.  I have plans for this, but haven't got it done yet.
  • The "Edit buttons" option is no longer part of Decaf; Decaf will style the dropdowns created by the "Activity editing menus" option (Site Administration -> Appearance -> AJAX and Javascript) to look and act like the "edit buttons" in earlier versions of Decaf.

If you've been waiting for a responsive version of Decaf, please try it out (NOT on your live site!) and post any feedback here.  Any and all feedback is appreciated - things you like, problems you've encountered, missing features, new feature requests, or anything else.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
It's only an avatar...
Re: [BETA] Decaf 2.0 - Call for testers
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Thanks Paul! 

Will test it out ASAP and hopefully give you some feedback.

With regards to the Awesomebar, would it be possible to add that to a side panel that can be accessed via a show/hide toggle?

cheers cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Paul Nicholls

Hi Mary,

I have something along those lines planned for a "responsive Awesomebar" - it's just a matter of getting around to it!

-Paul

Guido
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holders

The link to decaf 2.0 in the plugin db says:

You do not have permission to view this version

sad

and no luck at github.com/pauln

please give me a hint.

send to:

decaf-fan-club-germany@actxc.de

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

I shall do my best to take it for a spin over the weekend Paul - Look forward to seeing it!

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the lovely Decaf theme. I can only see one problem and that's to do with the performance info text which is black on black. I tend to only have Page info set as I am monitoring all the layouts used in whatever page  I happen to be on. This is important for me so I have added color and font-size to the CSS.

Other than that it's looking good - Cheers Mary cheers

Picture of Paul Nicholls
Re: FEEDBACK: [BETA] Decaf 2.0 - Call for testers

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your feedback!  I hadn't noticed the page debug info issue - I didn't realise it would have the .performanceinfo class (and therefore be affected by my styles for the perf info).  I've just released a second beta, which tidies this up (including adding some bottom padding to the page based on the combination of perf and page debug, so they don't cover up the other footer content) and fixes a bug reported by Alan Whittamore.  Please feel free to grab a copy from the plugin DB and give it a whirl; any further feedback will naturally be appreciated smile

Cheers,
Paul

Picture of Paul Nicholls

Decaf BETA 3 is now live - not much change from beta 2, as it's just to remove some old styles which made submit buttons look odd in Chrome.  Thanks to Alan W again for reporting it!

It's only an avatar...

Hi Paul,

I will be looking at upgrading to this new version of Decaf later today. However, just noticed in the config.php you have excluded blocks HTML stylesheet. This is no longer necessary as that stylesheet no longer exists in Blocks so you can remove this section of code...

$THEME->plugins_exclude_sheets = array(
    'block' => array(
        'html',
    ),
);

Cheers

Mary

Picture of Paul Nicholls

Thanks, Mary - I'll tidy that up when I'm next working on Decaf.

Picture of Paul Nicholls
[BETA] Decaf 2.0 BETA 4 - AwesomeBar Touch Mode - Call for testers

Hi all,

This one's a pretty big one, despite the small version change.  You can find Beta 4 in the plugins DB as per usual.

AwesomeBar: Touch Mode for small devices

A screenshot of the new AwesomeBar Touch Mode

Clicking the "hamburger" button at top right of the nav bar (which is now fixed to the top of the screen) will now not only reveal the "You are logged in as" information, but also open the AwesomeBar's new Touch Mode.  (Clicking it again will hide both the login info and the AwesomeBar.)  You should be able to drill down into the AwesomeBar as per usual, except in a more touch-friendly manner; tap to expand a branch, drag to scroll, tap to open a link (if it's an expandable node that's also a clickable link, the first tap should expand it, with the second tap opening the link.

So far, I've only tested this on my Android phone, as that's the only real device I have access to at the moment - so please, if you have a smartphone of any kind, try this out!  Feedback (whether confirmation that it works as expected or reports of issues) is much appreciated - either here or via personal message.  If you are reporting an issue, please provide as much detail as possible - screenshots, device / browser info, what you did which triggered the issue, etc.

Beta 4 also includes a few fixes / tidy ups:
* Fix issue with file picker appearing under image popup in TinyMCE
* Make question bank faux-block title more consistent with real blocks
* Navbar: add extra padding to breadcrumb on small devices (easier to tap with finger)
* Remove unnecessary block_html stylesheet exclusion
* Improvements to debug/perf info on smaller screens

Thanks to Mary Evans and Alan Whittamore for reporting issues - please keep reporting anything you find, either here in the forums or via private message!

Picture of Paul Nicholls
Re: [BETA] Decaf 2.0 BETA 5 - Call for testers
Another new release - Beta 5 - containing a new feature suggested by Alan Whittamore:
Support for custom user profile fields, allowing users to have individual control over certain Decaf settings.  The administrator still has control over which of these are available to users - and if you really want control, you can even leave the profile fields hidden from the users and set them yourself!

Adding the appropriate custom profile fields (as checkboxes) allows users to enable Decaf settings for themselves that have not been enabled at the site level.  Custom profile field "short names" which Decaf will look for are:
* decafSkipSettingsBlock
* decafSkipNavigationBlock
* decafFullAdminTree
* decafPersistentEdit

You can set up none, all or any combination of these to allow users to have individual control over whichever of these settings you wish.  Note that custom profile fields will only enable a setting which is disabled at the site level (in the Decaf theme settings), not the other way around.  You can use anything you like as the field's (long / display) name and description, as long as the "short name" is as per the list above and the field is set up as a checkbox.  I'm happy to receive requests for other Decaf settings, if you've found that your users are divided as to whether it should be on or off - though I can't promise that I'll add support for all requested settings.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)