Essentials - Highlight current week in course

Essentials - Highlight current week in course

by Steve Kotyk -
Number of replies: 19

Am I missing this option somewhere?
In the standard Moodle theme, the current week of a given course highlighted blue, any way to implement something like this in Essentials?

-Steve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Kotyk

Re: Essentials - Highlight current week in cource

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Highlighting the current week / topic is a course format thing.  Just tested in Essential and when you use the course format 'bulb' to state the current topic and the theme decides to highlight it with a glowing blue border.  So, umm, it is implemented.

In reply to Steve Kotyk

Re: Essentials - Highlight current week in course

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In any course page, turn editing on and as Gareth says, click the light bulb!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steve Kotyk -

Hi, Thank you all for your replies, however I am not seeing this light bulb option you speak of.  Could you be a little more specific?

In reply to Steve Kotyk

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Exhibit one in course editing mode for the topics format, a light bulb:

Attachment 2014-02-12 22_01_31-Course_ Test course_ S.png
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Gareth J Barnard -

Oh, interesting 'current' class not styled for 'Weekly' format as CSS only defines 'ul.topics'.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, fair enough, Essential is missing the style:

.course-content ul.weeks li.section.main.clearfix.current {
box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px #30add1;
}

So as a workaround, add that to the Custom CSS box. The fix is to change:

.course-content ul.topics li.section.main.clearfix.current {
}

into:

.course-content ul li.section.main.clearfix.current {
}

In the CSS where the original is defined.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Steve Kotyk -

Thanks you all, Gareth that fixed it for me!

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That means Bootstrapbase is missing some CSS too, otherwise it would have added some colour even if it was #EEE wouldn't it?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mary,

Clean is fine, Essential is broken.  It must override it somehow to nothing and then use its own.

FYI all, bulb only on topic based course formats.  Weekly uses dates and is automatic.

Gareth

by Julian Ridden -

Thanks for that suggestion Gareth.

I have updated github. I think I feel a sub point release coming on.

Julian

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Steve Kotyk

by Steve Kotyk -

So I found the bulb you mentioned in another course, thanks for that.  But it is not appearing in courses with the weekly format.  Also, In the standard moodle theme, highlighting of the current week happened automatically.

In reply to Steve Kotyk

by Mary Evans -

in that case can you test how Clean theme behaves as it might well be a problem in Bootstrabase rather than Essential if it does not work in Clean theme.

In reply to Steve Kotyk

by Julian Ridden -

What Gareth and Mary said really. This feature is implemented and is working in the Essential theme.

Julian

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Marc Couture -

Fast forward to 2016: it seems that the highlighting function is now forced in the weekly course format under Moodle 3.x, with no visible way to disable it.  Is there a workaround to let teachers disable this if needed?  Thanks.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Gareth J Barnard -

I can replicate in Essential and Clean, but also notice that M2.9 has: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/MOODLE_29_STABLE/course/format/renderer.php#L318 - thus do you have evidence that there was previously an option for this?

by Marc Couture -

Hi Gareth,

We jumped from 2.8 to 3.  In 2.8, the editing menus were not integrated in a single menu as in versions 3 and 3.1, so it could be a core issue...  If so, I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Gareth J Barnard -

Nothings changed.  Still core code that dictates this: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/MOODLE_31_STABLE/course/format/renderer.php#L431 and https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/MOODLE_31_STABLE/course/format/weeks/lib.php#L404-L422.  Therefore nothing for me to fix.

And has been since Moodle 2.4: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/MOODLE_24_STABLE/course/format/renderer.php#L140 and https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/MOODLE_24_STABLE/course/format/weeks/lib.php#L365-L383.

Thus I believe that you are mistaken and there was never an option with the weeks format.  Perhaps you are confused with the topics format?

by Marc Couture -

I thought there was a way to manually highlight a week in previous versions of Moodle, but you're probably right, it must have been only possible using the topics format.  Sorry for the confusion.

In any case, it seems there isn't a way currently to have users control if/when the highlighting occurs, so I guess we'll go for Mary's suggestion and hide it altogether.

Thanks to both of you for the heads up, much appreciated.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Mary Evans -

Hi Marc,

The way things work in Moodle Course Formats do differ, especially in relation to highlighting Topics and Weeks.

Topics let you 'highlight' the topic you want to highlight. Whereas in Weekly the current Week is automatically highlighted. This has been the case as long as I can recall, way back to Moodle 1.7.

If you want to remove that colour or change it you can do that easily with CSS

.course-content .weeks .current { background: none }
.course-content .weeks .current { background-color: yellow }

Hope this helps?

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)