Number of replies: 14

Available:

1. Moodle plugins
  2. My github

Below is a student's Moodle grade report for a finished class:

LAE User Report

If we walked through this in English we'd say:

Each grade item has

• a weight (Accurate weights are recorded not just whatever number the instructor input whether it has any relation to how grades are calculated or not. Still the LAE User report respects instructor-input weights if using Weighted mean of grades.)
  • a grade (points, optional accurate points for category and course totals as with the LAE Grader)
  • a range (maximum earnable points)
  • the percentage of max earnable ACTUALLY earned
  • a letter grade, in this case only for the final grade (arrow-B)
  • and a contribution column, how much each grade contributed to the final grade (arrow-A)

Any student is easily able to discern how their final grade was calculated even in the most complex grading strategy.

If we take a look at my own student grade report for the same class we'll see I'm not doing all that well. I really flubbed up on my first essay submission but even more importantly I'm doing poorly on the Group Project which has a pretty steep weight assigned to it. Right now I'm getting an 'F' and wondering if there's any hope. To find out I pull down on the 'Target grade selector' (arrow-C) and see that the best I can achieve is a 'C+' (well... at least Mom and Dad won't kill me if I can pull that out):

LAE User Report

So once I've chosen my target grade (C+, of course) the report shows me exactly what I need to do to achieve that grade (arrow-D), shaded areas:

LAE User Report

This doesn't look easy, better get crackin' (some textbooks, maybe).

We know that students perform better given clear expectations and immediate and constant feedback because they feel they are more in control of the ultimate outcome. When students feel in control of their college outcome they stick around to graduate. This is what the new LAE User student grade report is all about.

In reply to Bob Puffer

Re: Announcing the LAE User grade report is now available

by Jason Simms -

When I try to access the link to the Moodle plugin at the top, it says that I do not have permission to access it...

In reply to Jason Simms

by Bob Puffer -

Looks like its waiting on approval, I was under the impression it had been approved. Will contact Abarup.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Doug Moody -

BOB,

This is the best Moodle news I have gotten ina  long time. I completely agree that students do better when they get regular and meaningful feedback. I have experienced it myself. One quarter I required students to visit their grade report every day. There was a noticeable uptick in student performance. The following quarter I did not require it, and students overall performances went down.

With this new report, I will again require them to view their grades. I think that the LAE grader report ought to be set to a default position with all the "bells and whistles " enabled as you showed. Admins and teachers can then disable them if desired, but the default ought to be this meaningful right out of the gate.

Thanks for pointing this out. I am going to enable it just as soon as it is approved.

Any ideas as to how long that will be? I need it NOW!

In reply to Doug Moody

by Derek Chirnside -

You know about the research on weight loss?

Weighing yourself every day can help in the process.  mixed

Also, I just created this page: http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Grader_report_LAE

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Bob Puffer -
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Derek Chirnside -

AUGGHH.  Sorry.  Search didn't throw this up and as I had just created a help page for Course Menu I was on a roll and overshot the mark.  I'll get Helen or Mary to delete it.

-Derek

In reply to Doug Moody

by Bob Puffer -

I've asked but got nothing back. You can get it from my github though. We and a couple other schools have it in production. Its been renamed since the initial post to comply with plugin naming standards so the github links from the original post won't work.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Bob Puffer -

Sorry this took so long to get approved in the plugins. Is now available in plugins or my github.

Thanks

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Doug Moody -

Bob,

I installed this latest plugin, but the "Your Desired Grade" pulldown doesn't show on users reports.

What am I doing wrong? I see the new "LAE User Report" tab in the grade administration menu. When I click on that new tab, there are no options shown to me to set it up. I have no instructions that go along with this new report.

Can you give me some clues?

Thanks.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Bob Puffer -

Only shows for students. Login as a student and check it out.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Doug Moody -

Bob,

Here is an example of my screen, logged on as a student. No joy...Dropdown doesn't show anything

In reply to Doug Moody

by Bob Puffer -

Hi Doug. This doesn't look like the LAE User report is installed. It would also require the LAE Grader report. As an instructor do you see both of these? If so then the permissions for the LAE User report for a student should be changed though they should have been set correctly when it installed.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Doug Moody -

Bob,

Well the strange thing is that the LAE grader report tab and the LAE user report tabs are showing in the setups.

However, I do not see where I can set permissions for these plugins. Can you please detail for me where I should look for those permissions? I have looked around in the roles menus and don't see anything there. Either I don't know what to look for, or as you said, it isn't installed correctly. If you would give me some places to look, I will. And, if I don't see what you point me to, then I probably have a bad install.

Thank you.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Bob Puffer -

Hi Doug,

If you ran Notifications from Site administration the permissions would be granted by the access.php file. I've not had a case where this failed. If you need to manually assign permissions, from the Moodle front page:

1. Site administration
  2. Users
  3. Permissions
  4. Define Roles
  5. Edit the editingteacher and student role searching for laegrader and laeuser.

You might want to disable the regular grader and user reports for these roles though some leave both. You cannot remove the Grader report from your site as many of the functions cascade down. Let me know how it goes.