View all responses permissions

View all responses permissions

by Khyam Shahzad -
Number of replies: 6

Hi Joseph, 

I am using Moodle 2.6.1 and just upgraded the "questionnaire" module to version 2014-01-03-01 and it works very well. Actually for some reason, we don't want the students to view "All responses" but no luck even after overriding the permission "mod/questionnaire:readallresponses" to "Prevent" or "Prohibit" sad 

http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/mod/questionnaire/mod#Response_viewing

As a student if I go to see my "Individual responses", there at the bottom I can see all response IDs made by other course participants. In myreport.php file, if I comment the lines 286 to 290 then the response IDs do not appear but I can pass random RID in page URL to play with it. 

Any help would be highly appreciated to fix this problem. 

Regards

Khyam Shahzad

(Edited by Joseph Rézeau - original submission Monday, 27 January 2014, 12:05 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Khyam Shahzad

Re: View all responses permissions

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Q1.- To remove the View all Responses capability from students, in your questionnaire (or at site or course level), edit student role capabilities for questionnaire, and set Read all responses any time and  Read response summaries, subject to open times to "Prevent".

Q2.- "As a student if I go to see my "Individual responses", there at the bottom I can see all response IDs made by other course participants." That is a bug, which I will fix as soon as possible. Thanks for reporting.

EDIT.- See CONTRIB-4846.

" In myreport.php file, if I comment the lines 286 to 290 then the response IDs do not appear but I can pass random RID in page URL to play with it."

I wonder who would do that? Anyway, if you try to change the  userid in the url, you get an error message "error/Permission denied".

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Marc Couture -

Joseph, WRT to your answer to the 1st question, will there eventually be an option added to a questionnaire's options to prevent students from seeing all responses?  Previous versions of your module had this option in the pull-down menu, which made this much clearer for teachers.  I know you took it out in version 2.5, but to be honest, our users remain confused on what to do and don't remember to check out permissions in each questionnaire.

In reply to Marc Couture

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Marc, I quite understand your suggestion. Actually, starting with 2.5 we decided to move the "see all responses" feature to the permissions system, in order to have a more logical interface and also in order to cater for more different use cases that had been requested, for different roles.

The previous system was at the same time easier to use (and more confusing) I felt.

In a forthcoming version of questionnaire (2.6.x or 2.7), I am planning to add a certain number of default settings to the questionnaire site admin interface. The "view all responses" setting might be set site-wide (but could still be over-ridden in course contexts). Would that help?

Joseph

by Marc Couture -

Yes indeed, it would help.

Again, thanks for the quick reply, as always!

by Joseph Rézeau -

Further to this discussion I have updated the documentation page for View ALL Responses.

Please have a look. I do hope the "correlation table" makes things clear (and does not contain errors).

Joseph

by Khyam Shahzad -

Many Thanks Joseph and I really appreciate your help. 

I will try with the fix CONTRIB-4846 and I hope this will fix the issue. smile

Regards