*ATTN* Lanc./Phila. PA (USA) educators/artists

*ATTN* Lanc./Phila. PA (USA) educators/artists

by Michael S. -
Number of replies: 13

Greetings, fellow "Moodlers."  I would like very much to connect, and hopefully talk and/or meet, with educators who are very actively using Moodle in their classroom/K-12 school/college ... a "gold star" if any artists who use Moodle respond, and two "gold stars" if you're an artist who is also an educator who is also actively using Moodle!  smile

If you are in the Lancaster, PA area, that would be terrific.  Philadelphia, or points in-between along the "Main Line"/Amtrak route would also be good.

Thank you very much for helping me with my goal of finding out how others in education and/or the arts are applying this e-learning tool.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael S.

Re: *ATTN* Lanc./Phila. PA (USA) educators/artists

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello and welcome to Moodlesmile I'm afraid I don't get any gold stars because I am in the Lancaster UK area not the Lancaster PA area (the original thoughwink) I was in teaching for 28 years until last year although not in Art. If you haven't already seen it, please take a look at the Mount Orange Moodle School demo, a demonstration site with courses in different subjects with student data.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Michael S. -

Thanks, Mary.  Yes, I have been "playing with" the Sandbox and Mt. Orange sites Moodle offers, and have been reading a lot in the Moodle Docs/"About Moodle" and other areas.  I'm just feeling the need to talk about and see some ways educators/artists are practically applying this in specific ways.

Have a good week!

In reply to Michael S.

by Paula Clough -

JMS

You might also like a quick look at the courses on Moodle.net that have demo sites and also check out the courses on www.freemoodle.org to see many ways that people are using Moodle.  There is a nice Art/Math course called Beauty and some courses about film.

I was a teacher k-12 for 30 years and have been working with Moodle for several years. I am now working with a small University helping students and faculty with technology.  I have used a couple of other LMS's and really like Moodle best. 

Enjoy!

In reply to Paula Clough

by Derek Chirnside -

Cmon guys. you can do better than that.   jms aagg03 isn't asking for sites, (s)he's asking for real time, face to face interaction by the sound of it.  There must be a Moodle group in the area, or some contact.  Although,  jms aagg03 is a bit of an odd name to use when trying to meet people.

-Derek

In reply to Paula Clough

by Michael S. -

Paula:  Thank you very much for your helpful response and the URL(s) you shared, which I have gone to for an initial "look-see" and will revisit.  If you have any suggestions about how I might find organizations (since finding people yielded 0 results) in my local region who are using Moodle, I'd welcome such input.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Michael S. -

Mary:  As a Moodle moderator, if you have ideas about finding "Moodler" organizations in my region, I'd love to hear from you again on that.

In reply to Michael S.

by dawn alderson -

jms, hi

Isn't there a cartoon or a band with that name?  I can't remember will ask my kids.  There are some great suggestions here, going to follow them up myself.

Can only widen the bandwidth though, posting from UK-a link from a colleague at the Ministry of Education in Portugal, and the link includes exemplary project work practiced in Portland, Maine.

www.edutopia.org/stw-maine-pbl

I am also aware of Moodle courses that have supported similar project approaches, which adopted the following tools, for example:

Quiz, Wiki, databases, evaluations, glossaries, lesson (with a range of resources) and rewards such as certificates and badges. 

Essentially, such courses enabled different modes for learning such as, individual, paired, group, collaborative and communal activity.

hope helpful

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by dawn alderson -

Michael, hi

found out- it is JLS! sorry about that.  To add to the information here, there is a link to a guy, you may have heard of him, he is an Aussie-and does a lot of coding in his spare time....but he also has a wealth of knowledge about teaching with a CMS, namely Moodle.

The link below includes a session with 150 12-13 year old students in the Barcelona area.  The children participated by sharing their homework they did, including design and artistic detail, prior to the session. The focus of the session was about how they would like Moodle to be and how they would like to interact with their teachers on-line.

here is the link: mootes.mediacore.tv/media/martin-kids

two stars if you can  guess who it is utilising a great pedagogy!

hope helpful

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Michael S. -

Dawn:  Thank you as well for your helpful reply and the URL(s) you shared, which I have gone to for an initial "look-see" and will revisit.  If you have any ideas about how I might local organizations (since finding people yielded 0 results) in my region who are using Moodle, I'd welcome that input.

In reply to Michael S.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Michael,

I was busy yesterday and just now got a chance to reply. I am not in your local area (Enterprise, Alabama) but with high speed internet, a web cam, and Skype just about anywhere is "local" now. My wife (Korean) regularly talks to relatives in South Korea, and it's so clear it's as if they were in the same room.

I use Moodle for everything in my middle school classroom as I teach computer applications in a lab setting. I don't teach "art" as such, but we do learn to create some using vector graphics drawing programs (Corel Draw, LO Draw) and photo painting with GIMP. Some students get to do more than others as I use drawing projects as fill in work when they finish ahead of deadlines on normal daily projects.

AL

In reply to Michael S.

by Michael S. -

Several of you "Moodlers" above have suggested that I check example pages on www.freemoodle.org, and that site's free Podcasts on iTunes also refer to courses there, which is confusing to merely listen to when you'd like to see what features they're critiquing.

I find, however, that virtually all (at least those I've tried to look at) refuse me access as a "guest," and to create an account there are a long list of e-mail domains which are "banned" -- including yahoo.com and gmail.com, which are the only e-mail accounts I have. It renders this site pretty much useless to me, which is a shame. sad

Thoughts, other than creating yet another e-mail account that I must monitor on some obscure service that freemoodle has not banned?

In reply to Michael S.

by dawn alderson -

Michael, hi

sounds as though you are struggling to get your needs met.  Just a thought, might it be an idea to make some suggestions here-you know-what do you think will sort out your sticky situation? I understand there are moderators here to help you unpick your thoughts.  There may be some sort of moot or something along those lines that can be organised-mooted :0).  I guess the moderators can only help if you map out what you want-within reason. As an aside, there is a biblical-set in stone rule- here, that posts need to be kept in one forum if possible, hope that makes sense too.

all warm wishes

Dawn