Captivate vs Moodle

Captivate vs Moodle

by Paul Wakelam -
Number of replies: 6

HI,

I was just wandering whether you can do everything in Moodle that you can do in Captivate? 
My impression is that apart from simulation and screen capture which are outside Moodle's scope , Moodle has many of the features

http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/features.html

I have written what I think are the Moodle equivalent, but I welcome correction.

-------------

Captivate has a page turner look and feel allowing users to navigate by a table of contents or by a player bar - BOOK ???

- convert powerpoint slides - THIRD PARTY TOOLS
- master slides for courses - ???

- templates for slides/pages in a course - ???

- standardised styles for heading and objects set at course level- ????

- specify theme for course at course level - ???

- table of contents and breadcrumbs- STANDARD

- panning - BG BLUE BUTTON ???

- screen capture - THIRD PARTY

-drag and drop components - Not sure plugins can do everything

- interactions such as 'Millionaire, Hangman, Jigsaw, Process Cycle, Glossary, Accordion, Pyramid, and Animated Rollover" - Not sure plugins can do everything

- youtube  - STANDARD

- web links - STANDARD

- Learning notes - maybe NOTES ??

- Actors ( standard images) - THIRD PARTY images

- video recording - THIRD PARTY

- equation editor - STANDARD

- simulate right clicking in simulations- OUT OF MOODLE SCOPE

- Auto text captions - I think this is because of flash

- Interactive elements - rollover slidelets, click boxes - STANDARD

- scenario branching - BOOK ?

- adobe connect and presenter integration - Yes for connect

- learners names in scenario - STANDARD

- share advance actions (reuse of course creator interactions across multiple courses) - ?????

- round-tripping to software to edit images -

- animation - THIRD PARTY TOOLS 

- branched scenarios - Not sure plugins can do everything

regards Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Wakelam

Re: Captivate vs Moodle

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Adobe Captivate is a combination of a lot of different tools and technologies. I do not think you can fairly compare these two programs, unless you look at it from the point of view of "what is most useful to me?"  For me, and I suspect most people, Moodle does what I want it to do, what I want to use it for, and is big enough for me to continue exploring its uses. It is flexible enough for me to adapt it to a number of different circumstances and I am always hearing of uses for Moodle that I had never considered before. Moodle is used and is available in all the schools and universities I am likely to work/study in. For me, Captivate is an unknown thing. It is expensive and I do not know any institution near me that I can access that uses it. This would indicate that while it sounds great, it may not be considered as useful by the people who are making the decisions at those places.

Anything can be made to look good,  but unless it is considered to be a useful or desirable tool, it is not going to gain a lot of support. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Wakelam

by Peter Seaman -

Hi Paul: Quick story - maybe not that useful but possibly illuminating:

I once worked on a project for a client who wanted a short online course for a distributed workforce. The client hired a course developer who put together a really solid course in Moodle - interesting readings, links to resources, discussions, and assignments. The client hated it - too boring, they said. So they fired the course developer and hired someone who could create the same course using Captivate. Developer #2 packed the course full of flashy screens with rollover buttons that made little popping and wooshing noises. The whole course had the feel of a video game, and the final learning activity was a game of Hangman that spelled - I hope you are sitting down - the title of the course! And you know what? - the client loved it.

Was it a more robust learning activity? Absolutely not, but if a client is not always right, the client is at least never wrong, and they got what they wanted. I suppose the moral of the story is to be clear about learning outcomes and how you will achieve them, and not to be diverted by shiny objects - unless your organization has a way of balancing them with learning outcomes. Good luck with your decision.

Peter

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Peter Seaman

by Paul Wakelam -

Hi Peter,

For adults  I think "interesting readings, links to resources, discussions, and assignments" can work but it depends on the audience.  We follow Cathy Moore and are focused on what learners really have to know. We don't put bling in for the sake of bling and we don't whoosh smile, BUT if we can do bling that serves and educational objective then we do it. An example would be a simulation of a fume cupboard using particles which does teach students what goes wrong.
We actually use both Captivate and Moodle and I think you can create courses that are very good in both.  
I was just wondering if you need Captivate - can you create a course in Moodle that looks like Captivate with its slideshow metaphor and with its features using plugins and coding ?

Captivate's downside for me is it not suited for multi person development, html5 support is not complete so IOS/Android issues and constraints on look and feel.

regards Paul

In reply to Paul Wakelam

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have you tried the Lesson module in Moodle? It's good for branching scenarios

In reply to Paul Wakelam

by Peter Seaman -

Hi Paul: You make a good point - almost any application can be used well or badly. But I must say that if your organization values glam and glitz over solid and unpretentious design, they might not like Moodle. I've worked with at least two organizations that shunned Moodle b/c it wasn't flashy enough. In the example I discussed, it was HR dep't folks who shunned Moodle in favor of the flashier Captivate; in the second, it was people who should have known better but didn't take the time to discover what's valuable in Moodle (and also had a pile of money to throw at a vendor's promised magnificence).

Mary mentioned the lesson tool, which you can use to create a sort of "Choose your own adventure" branching scenario. I have used it with clients to create simulations ("The bank rejects your request. Now what do you do? Choose one of these three possibilities.") The only thing that clients haven't liked about the lesson tool is how answers show up on the screen - the interface can be a little funky. But for the price, it's great and one of the best learning tools of its kind, IMHO. Good luck! - Peter

In reply to Paul Wakelam

by Jez H -

Check out iSpring Presenter 7 from http://ispringsolutions.com/

it does a great job of converting Powerpoint (with animation) to HTML5.

not as interractive as Captivate, but fot HTML5, SCORM, TinCan its very good.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)