Can Badges be shared between courses?

Can Badges be shared between courses?

by Ann Morgan -
Number of replies: 5

I am working in Moodle 2.5.1  I noticed that when I went to create a new badge,  Moodle told me that badge already existed (in another course)  Since I had created that badge originally, I am now wondering if that badge can be copied over to my new course. I understand that I would need to set new criteria ... but thought it would be great if the rest was there as a template!

As always thanks for your time and response!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ann Morgan

Re: Can Badges be shared between courses?

by Yuliya Bozhko -

Hi Ann,

This is not possible right now, but I had something like templating for badges in mind. Just don't have too much time to work on it right now. I guess, you can open an issue in Moodle Tracker and maybe someone else will be willing to contribute too wink

Yuliya

In reply to Yuliya Bozhko

by Joshua Bragg -

This would seem to be required to address my backup and restore question here:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=252377

What is the reasoning behind the unique name requirement?

In reply to Joshua Bragg

by Yuliya Bozhko -

The reason behind unique names is that when badges are displayed in user profile and user backpack there is no way to distinguish between where this badge came from. We wanted to avoid confusion.

Yuliya

In reply to Yuliya Bozhko

by Robin Sitten -

Hello Yuliya and others. We are on 2.6 and I think this is still an issue for us. I am trying to log in to the Tracker, and waiting for my password reset. But tell me if our use case is covered by this.

We repeat certain titles throughout the year (such as Intro to Widgets), and award a badge for course completion with a minimum score. We would like to be able to select the "Widget Badge" from a library when we create a new iteration of this course. As Ann describes in her question, the course level badge must be created as "New," and the name must be unique.

This means we have to create a new course badge for Intro to Widgets Fall 2015, Intro to Widgets Winter 2016, etc. We must then copy the description and image, and reset the criteria. This seems like an opportunity for error. But if I am reading this thread correctly, it sounds like this is the intentional design.  Is that correct?

thanks for your help.  Robin Sitten - Perkins eLearning

In reply to Robin Sitten

by Robin Sitten -

Confirmed our answer offline. 

Workshop badges must have unique names, though the image and criteria can be identical.

We have solved this by naming the badge after the class, as I described above: Widgets Fall 2015, Intro to Widgets Winter 2016, etc.

Thanks, Forum.

Robin