Admins can't enroll users from iPhones with iSO7; Does Moodle upgrade fix?

Admins can't enroll users from iPhones with iSO7; Does Moodle upgrade fix?

by Jillian E -
Number of replies: 4

This is obviously a problem caused by Apple and not a Moodle bug, but does upgrading to 2.6 help these two work together like they used to? Since iOS7 was installed on our iPhones, our Moodle site will not allow admins to enroll students into courses.

When enrolling students into a course, the web browser app crashes when clicking on the drop down for ‘Potential Users’– this happens in all browser apps (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Mercury, etc).

Our production site is running on 2.3.3, but an upgrade to our test site to 2.5.4 did not resolve this issue. Our admins are on-call and frequently work off their phones afterhours, creating new accounts and granting access to specific courses.

*Happens on iPhones running on iOS7 (4,4S & 5); Does not happen on iOS6; Does not happen on Androids. We're not using iPads, but I'm sure the result is the same.

Attachment iOS7.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jillian E

Re: Admins can't enroll users from iPhones with iSO7; Does Moodle upgrade fix?

by Jez H -

In Moodle 2.6 on an iPad running IOS7 it sort of works, you can assign roles from right to left, but they do not show up properly once assigned on the left hand side.

I have never seen a desktop browser crash at this screen.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jez H

by Jillian E -

Thank you for your response - does the number of potential users make a difference? We have 800 users, however filtering/searching should significantly cut back on the number of users Moodle pulls for the drop down. (Yet it still crashes!)

This has been strictly an iOS7 issue - no problems with desktop browser, and there are no problems with devices still running on iOS6. I'll attach an image of a screen shot of what it does on iOS6 still on our 2.3 site - the drop downs still work. That's what we need with our updated iPhones.

iOS6

In reply to Jillian E

by Jez H -

Nope, it wont work on an iPad even with only five or so users.

When that list gets long they are not all shown, you usually see a message saying somethign along the lines of "too many to show" and you have to search for the users instead.

I think that screen is borked on IOS sad

If you are really stuck you could take a look at Pocket Cloud that lets you remote onto a PC from a phone, the UI is a bit tricky, but may be of some use.

Did you try the now depricated "mobile theme" for older versions of Moodle? I never used that so dont know if the admin inteface was any different in it.

In reply to Jillian E

by Jillian E -

FYI - upgrading to 2.6.1+ did not resolve this problem. I will be starting a tracking ticket. Please vote

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-43879

I had a friend successfully enroll users (category level) using an iPad with iOS7 on their 2.5 site.