Latest time students can start a quiz attempt

Latest time students can start a quiz attempt

by Linda LaCoe -
Number of replies: 3

I am using moodle 2.5 and my students take the quizzes in class.  I would like to set the latest time that students can start a quiz attempt.  I count any student absent that is 15 minutes or more late to class and I would like to block them from taking the quiz at a specific time. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Linda LaCoe

Re: Latest time students can start a quiz attempt

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is no obvious way to do this. (Someone else may be able to think of a devious work-around.)

Is it not enough to set the close date, so students who start late just get less time?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marty Soupcoff -

@Tim - Devious work-around? Challenge accepted!

This took some testing but I believe I found a way. If you have the quiz in a week that students can see (say week/topic 1) and students begin taking the quiz, when you want to "cut-off" any new attempts, move the quiz activity into a new week/topic at the bottom of course (say week/topic 15) and in the course settings set the course to show less weeks/topics. This will turn the activity into an "orphaned activity". Students who are already in the quiz can continue taking the quiz. Students who try to enter the course after this time, will not see the activity on the course page. This is a manual process that needs to be done when you want to cut-off new attempts. You can't automate this in the settings.

Things that didn't work (in case anyone wonders)

• Using the Restrict Access feature - e.g. entering cut-off time in Restrict Access field. Ex: Quiz due at 11pm, want to stop new attempts at 10:30pm; set 10:30pm in Restrict Access. If this is done, students who are in the middle of the attempt will receive message that the quiz activity is hidden when they move to the next page of questions or try to submit their quiz attempt.
  • Hiding the activity by selecting the Hide icon on the course homepage.

I agree with Tim though. Can't late students just have less time? If no, don't let late students into the room to take it. If you set up an IP address range in the quiz settings, you could restrict to only those on the classroom computers.

Happy Moodle Logooodling!

In reply to Marty Soupcoff

by Linda LaCoe -

Marty/Tim,

Thank you for the help.  I was going to try the Restrict Access. I am going to use your suggestion to move the assignment to a later date.