How do you use $THEME->rarrow and $THEME->larrow?

How do you use $THEME->rarrow and $THEME->larrow?

by Sam Hemelryk -
Number of replies: 9
Hi, this is pretty trivial but I'm interested to find out.

I'm looking for a bit of information the theme settings $THEME->larrow and $THEME->rarrow.

When you create a theme and you set those values (if you set those values) what do you set them too?

In general I am keen to find out in general how people use those settings. However my interest was peaked because of MDL-43716. We noticed that those larrow and rarrow behave when you set them to when you don't.
If you have created themes that set those values I'd be very interested to get your view on that issue as well.
At present I feel it is a bug, however if people are used to how it operates and are relying on what it does currently then certainly it is not a bug and I shouldn't be hurrying off to change it.

Many thanks
Sam
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Hemelryk

Re: How do you use $THEME->rarrow and $THEME->larrow?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sam,

I don't use those settings directly in my Bootstrapbase'd themes.  Would only be if that base core theme used them, which I don't think it does.

Gareth

In reply to Sam Hemelryk

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Arialist uses ⟨ and ⟩ which gives 〈 〉 respectively

But there is a problem in that theme someone asked for help here and not sure how to answer.

I am using

$THEME->rarrow = '☞';

$THEME->larrow = '☜';

in a theme I have made recently and it works OK.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steven A -

Arialist.  Good catch!  I had never given much thought to rarrow or larrow until I noticed that ⟨ and ⟩ produce boxes (☐) in the navbar, calendar block, etc. on some devices (ex. my phone).  Changing ⟨ and ⟩ to their equivalent "decimal" values (〈 and 〉) seems to have fixed things.

In reply to Sam Hemelryk

by Danny Wahl -

I didn't ever override them because the one time I did I found weird things happening in places I didn't know used rarrow and larrow but I can't remember what they were (probably RTL...)

so I just manually override the navbar separator in a renderer instead of using rarrow

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I do find that the RTL breadcrumb does not work if you use rarrow larrow, but that is a know issue.

In reply to Sam Hemelryk

by Julian Ridden -

I'll be honest and say I haven't used them for a long time. I fond far more flexibility and control from pure CSS. But for beginners wanting a quick change I guess they are useful.

Julian

In reply to Sam Hemelryk

by Amy Groshek -
I got into trouble using character entities rather than numeric references. In various places, when printed to buttons and the like, the character entity was printed verbatim and not as a symbol. So I ended up in the same boat as Gareth: "Just don't change them." Or, change them with CSS. Julian seems to be on the right track in just doing these changes with CSS. Maybe we want to switch over to that in the future? Esp. since the majority of RTL/LTR is handled with CSS.

In reply to Amy Groshek

by Steven A -

How can these characters be changed with CSS?

In reply to Steven A

by Mary Evans -

The way the Decaf theme does this, is to replace the left and right arrow with an image which is styled in CSS, and also by adding a space using   in the config.php setting like so...

$THEME->larrow =  

$THEME->rarrow =