Glossary popup in Moodle 2.6.1 Build 20140113

Glossary popup in Moodle 2.6.1 Build 20140113

by Bronwen Campbell -
Number of replies: 11

Hi, I've just upgraded to Moodle 2.6.1 Build 20140113, and I see that my glossary popups are now being forced up to the top left of my browser window instead of opening near the original link. So on longer pages, this means that I lose my place on the page.

Is there any way of making the popups open in the right place instead of being forced to the top left of the page (other than reverting to my previous Moodle 2.5.1 build)?

I have tested this in Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer and they all have the same glossary popup behaviour.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Bronwen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bronwen Campbell

Re: Glossary popup in Moodle 2.6.1 Build 20140113

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Reported as MDL-43705 "Glossary popup placement in moodle 2.6"  for which you may vote.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Bronwen Campbell -
Thanks Joseph. I will vote and put off upgrading my other sites until this is fixed. In the meantime if anyone comes up with a workaround, let me know. Thanks! Bronwen

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Further to MDL-43705 and Michael de Raadt's reply there, we need testing from as many Glossary users as possible. Please test and report in this discussion AND in the bug tracker at MDL-43705.

• Environment (Linux, Windows, Mac etc. plus current version).
  • Browser and version.
  • Moodle exact version. (starting at 2.6 only)
  • AJAX enabled or not.
  • What glossary popup window position do you get: a) in the middle of the screen OR b) in the top-left corner.

Thanks in advance.

Joseph

by Bronwen Campbell -

Thank you to Michael for upgrading this bug to major - it is certainly a major problem for us. I notice that when you are scrolled down on a long page, it opens the pop up in the top left corner, but the top left is actually the OK button, so in most cases it is barely noticeable that there is anything there at all.

This has rendered all our help pages and links pretty unuseable, so causes us ongoing concerns. I tried reverting back to the previous version of glossary, but it gave a warning about a new version being already installed, and I did not want to corrupt the database so did not pursue it further.

Thanks for working on it and I'll keep watching to see if anyone comes up with a workaround.

Regards,

Bronwen

by Владимир Галынский -

2.6.1+ (Build: 20140131)
server Ubuntu
, CGI/FastCGI, PHP Version 5.3.10-1ubuntu3.6
Environment Windows 7, mozila 26.0
enableajax -  yes/no  no matter
in the top-left corner.

the same problem

In reply to Владимир Галынский

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

This is now fixed for me in the latest Moodle 2.6.1+ (Build: 20140213)

Glossary popup now centred in the page smile

However, have noticed a couple of other issues:

1. If more than one glossary item is selected, without closing any popup using the [OK] button, resulting in multiple overlying popups, it is only possible to close the uppermost popup using the [OK] button. The remaining popups can only be cleared by a browser page refresh. Not a huge issue, but still not very elegant.

2. There is also a problem with auto-linked Glossaries in pages that use the Jmol (3D chemistry structure) filter. When a glossary entry is selected, multiple popups appear each having "alert" as the title, and the text as "confirm". Changing the relative orders that the filters are applied does not change this behaviour. See also: https://github.com/geoffrowland/moodle-filter_jmol/issues/9

The Jmol filter uses HTML5/JavaScript, all wrapped-up in a YUI module. So, I presume some conflict with the Glossary AJAX. From perusing these forums (specifically https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=196825#p860009) and some trial-and-error, have found that the issue appears fixed by editing moodle/filter/glossary/filter.php around line 193 so that:

$link = new moodle_url('/mod/glossary/showentry.php', array( 'courseid'=>$courseid, 'eid'=>$concept->id, 'displayformat'=>'dictionary' ));

becomes

$link = new moodle_url('/mod/glossary/showentry.php', array( 'courseid'=>$courseid, 'concept'=>$concept->concept, 'displayformat'=>'dictionary' ));

However, I'm not very familiar with the Glossary code and I don't fully understand this apparent fix, or possible knock-on effects, though it may give further clues to the underlying cause.

Appreciate that this may be as much a Jmol issue as a Glossary issue. However, since Jmol is 3rd-party code, it may be easier to fix from the Glossary 'end-of-things'.

Any insight or suggestions gratefully received!

Geoff

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Huy Hoang -

Geoff,

I ran into #1 as well, submitted a bug report: MDL-44855

In reply to Huy Hoang

by Rodney Wolford -

I ran into this problem as well on Mar 20:  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=256743

Glad you posted it as a bug. I visited the tracker and saw your solution in the alert_close.patch. I read the info on shifter, but it was perhaps to abstract for me with my current level of knowledge.

Perhaps you could provide a more concrete example related to installing the patch on a Linux based system? I would greatly appreciate it, if it is possible. I see the node.js is available for Linux and assume, if installed, all could be easily done from the command line. But I honestly can't figure out from what location the patch would be run and against what file.

Thanks in advance for any support you can provide,

Rod

In reply to Rodney Wolford

by Huy Hoang -

if you put the patch file at /tmp/alert_close.patch:

• cd to your moodle root dir (e.g. /web/moodle)
  • apply the patch:  patch -p1 < /tmp/alert_close.patch
  • verify the applied patch with git diff

Then rebuild using Shifter (assuming you're still at the moodle root dir):

• cd lib/yui/src
  • rebuild the "notification" module (shifter uses the patched file in src to create new files in build):
    shifter --walk notification

Notes about installing Shifter:

• I'm running Ubuntu 12.04, the Node.js in Synaptic is outdated. I had to get the latest Node.js from https://launchpad.net/~chris-lea/+archive/node.js/ in order to build the latest Shifter
  • I had problem building the JS files with older versions of Shifter, version 0.4.3 worked fine for me. The latest version 0.4.6 also works, and is faster too (5.1 vs 7.7 seconds)
In reply to Huy Hoang

by Rodney Wolford -

Thank you. Instructions very clear. Having a little trouble getting the shifter installed as I've had to enlist our ISP We are on the schedule and expect it ready soon.

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by John Benavides -

I am still having this problem in Moodle 2.9 with the Essential theme and the last version of the plugin. The Pop-up window appears in the centre of the screen the first time I click on a linked term but if I scroll down and click on another linked term the pop-up window cannot be seen because appears in the same position of the previous one so I have to scroll up to see the pop-up window.