My own glossary is in excel file, please help...

My own glossary is in excel file, please help...

by ChanHan Hy -
Number of replies: 22
Dear all,
I have a problem which can not do it with glossary converting and glossary importing.

I have excel file in attachment below.
I want to convert it as XML file and import into glossary but it appeared:

Total entries: 0
Imported entries: 0

Please help me because i want to create it as dictionary that store two language (English and Khmer unicode).

Thanks,

Best regards,
Hy ChanHan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to ChanHan Hy

Re: My own glossary is in excel file, please help...

by David Fountain -

I'm sorry but my macro for Excel does not work with unicode but have you tried the script Yasu Imao posted in this thread?

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=79120 

http://moodle.org/file.php/5/moddata/forum/126/394626/glossaryXMLconverter_updated2.zip 

In reply to David Fountain

by ChanHan Hy -
Thank you very much. Now it's working.

Best,
Hy ChanHan

by Pedro Guevara -
Hi:
The html page contained in glossaryXMLconverter_updated2.zip works great as los as I do NOT use spanish accented characters (á é í ó ú)

How can I include this characters?

Thanks
In reply to Pedro Guevara

by Yasu Imao -
Hi Pedro,

Where did you have the problem? If the accented characters are not displayed on the right box of the html page, then it would be a problem of the script. Which browser did you use? If you used IE, try Firefox, and check the text encoding is UTF-8.

If the characters are ok in the box, then the text (or xml) file you created might have a problem. Assuming you use Windows, when you save the xml file, make sure you select UTF-8 for Encoding. If you use WordPad, select Unicode Text Document for Save as type. If you use Mac OS X, the default encoding is UTF-8, but you need to save the file as a plain text file (not as a RTF file). By the way, I think the file name doesn't have to have .xml (I mean it can be .txt) as long as the content is in proper xml formatting.

Anyway, I tested the five characters, but they came out OK and I was able to import them without any problem. If this doesn't help, can you upload the original file and the file you uploaded (imported) (in .zip?)? I'll see what I can do.

By the way, I attached the html version of glossaryXMLconverter to this post so that people who don't use Leopard are not bothered by unnecessary items.

Yasu
In reply to Yasu Imao

by Pedro Guevara -
Thanks a lot Yasu
You save me a LOT of time.
My problem was that I was NOT saving the file as Unicode. I did it with a small file and it works perfectly.

Thanks a lot
Pedro
In reply to Yasu Imao

Re: Moodle glossaryXMLconverter_html updated

by Yasu Imao -
I'm not sure how many people have used this except for a couple on this thread, but I found a few glitches in the script and also to avoid a bug in Moodle glossary tool (in 1.8x I think) that '<' or &lt; in the concept (and possible in definition) messes up the import process (which I think is fixed in 1.9), I made minor changes to the javascript I uploaded above. I also added a function to convert WebCT glossary output from version 4.x to tab-delimited text to process with this script.

By the way, has anyone else used this script? Does this work OK?

Yasu
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Yasu Imao

by Attila Paksi -
Great work Yasu!

Thank you very much!
I used the script with Moodle version 1.9.2. and everything was OK.

Attila
In reply to Yasu Imao

by Pedro Aphalo -
Hello,
I started using Moodle yesterday, and thanks to your javascript "glossary XML converter" I have already been able to import a WebCT glossary I had saved some time ago. I just wanted to thank you and let you know that it works just fine with Moodle 1.6.8 and glossaries containing diacritics. I am using the glossary for term translations. For this an option for swapping concept and definition would come in handy for creating the reverse glossary, however just swaping the columns with a script or text editor should be also very easy. smile

Thanks again!

Pedro.
In reply to Pedro Aphalo

by Yasu Imao -
Hi Pedro,

I'm glad to hear it worked for you. I added a function to swap concept<->definition columns. It looks working (at least on the output). Let me know if this works for you too.

Yasu
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Yasu Imao

by Pedro Aphalo -
Hello Yasu,

Thanks very much for the added function! However, I haven't been able to test it. The file glossaryXMLconverter_html4.zip is much larger than earlier versions and seems to be just one from a spanned set. I am using WinZip 9.0 SR1.

Best regards,

Pedro.

In reply to Pedro Aphalo

by Yasu Imao -
Hi Pedro,

I'm not sure what is going on. I use Mac and the size of the zipped file is 4k. I used a different archiving program and upload it again.

I hope this works.

Yasu
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Yasu Imao

by Pedro Aphalo -
Hi Yasu,

Last night I tried again at home with my Windows XP Home laptop, and got the same error and 18k zip file with your new upload. I started suspecting something was wrong either with the server or at my end. This morning I tried at work with a PC running XP professional and I got everything working and a much smaller zip file! (Weird! In both cases I used Firefox 3.0.4)

Your script works wonderfully. Now I also have the reverse glossary in my course! Many thanks for this very useful tool!

Pedro.
In reply to Pedro Aphalo

by Pedro Aphalo -
Hi Yasu,

Tried again today at home, just out curiosity, and the downloaded zip file worked this time. So, everything should be fine with your upload.

Once more, thanks!

Pedro.

In reply to Yasu Imao

by Sam Mudle -

Just tested this converter with Moodle 2.0.3 and it works great!.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, David Fountain's excel macro doesn't work on Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac.

In reply to Sam Mudle

by Lucy Blake -

Has anyone found a way to get this to work with mac's or Google docs? I have a glossary in google docs and can't face putting it all in by hand.

In reply to Yasu Imao

by Don Schwartz -

Excellent! I just used this converter with Windows 7 and Moodle 2.8. It worked absolutely perfectly on the first try.

Nice when something is built with enough simplicity in 2008 that it works just fine in 2015.

In reply to Yasu Imao

by derek reddy -
Hi Yasu

I have used your programme tonight & have tried several times to upload the converted file, however, whenever a concept or definition contains an umlaut (ä,ü,ö etc) moodle tells me it can find no concept or definition and therefore loads no further entries.

What can I do??

The umlauts appear both in the copied information from excel & in the converted text- but no upload.
All other lettering works fine
In reply to derek reddy

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Derek,

You have to make sure that your file is in UTF-8 encoding. See Import and export FAQ#What encodings should I use.3F for details.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by derek reddy -
Thanks for that Frank
This is what I am doing:

1: I have all my glossary in an excel file
2: I copy paste this as raw text into the conversion programme. (I don't think it is necessary for me to worry about codings (?))
3: I click convert
4: I copy the coded text
5: I paste coded text into XML marker v1.1
6: I save this text as an XML file
7: Upload XML file into moodle

There is no problem only when the Concept or Definition contains an umlaut, then nothing gets transfered,
I get message No concept or no Definition found.

Have I missed an important stage out??
Using Firfox, tried also with IE, & windows XP pro.

Cheerrs

Des
In reply to derek reddy

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Des,

Have you tried opening your final XML file with IE? IE will show an error message if something is wrong with your file.

I don't know "XML marker", but in my experience a lot of XML tools (especially freeware tools) are not very reliable regarding UTF-8 encoding.

Try copying the coded text into good old Windows text editor Notepad instead and save as UTF-8 file.

You might also post a sample file here in the forum so I can have a closer look.

hth
Frank

In reply to derek reddy

by Yasu Imao -
Hi Des,

It's been a long time since I last used this converter, but as Frank wrote, I'm pretty sure it's the encoding problem. Someone else in a different thread also had the same problem and the source of the problem was encoding. If you don't see those characters in the output, that's the script's problem, but because you see it, something happend between the converter and the Moodle.

I use Mac, but I tested this on Windows with NotePad and save the file in UTF-8. I believe the file doesn't have to have .xml extension. It could be .txt as long as the content is properly formatted.

Please use NotePad that comes with every Windows instead of whatever application you used.

Best,
Yasu

by Edward Beckmann -
This works wonderfully for me! Thank you all.

Ed