Transferring moodle folder

Transferring moodle folder

by mark zuber -
Number of replies: 2

I need to transfer my moodle folder to another directory hosted by the same company. I have FTP explorer on my computer. How to transfer moodle folder by using FTP explorer?  I was trying to download the entire moodle folder into my computer's desktop and then upload it back to the new directory. But I am getting FTP error message.

Please help!

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mark zuber

Re: Transferring moodle folder

by Micheal Cooper -
Before you do anything, use the backup function on the admin menu to backup the content first.

Next, does your host let you make an archive, like tar.gz or zip? That would probably work.

If you don't have any modified code in there and just want to move the Moodle content, backup the Moodle, download the backup file, install Moodle in the new directory, upload and restore.

I moved a test moodle to a different machine the other day, and it worked just fine (granted, it was a small moodle with just junk in it).

In reply to Micheal Cooper

Re: Transferring moodle folder

by mark zuber -

Thanks Michael for your feedback. 

Unfortunately I don't know how to install moodle. Originally I downloaded moodle zip folder into my desktop and then I was trying to uploaded it (in zip form) into my host by using FTP explorer. But I could not unzip it on my server. Then I unzipped the moodle folder on my computer's desktop and I noticed so many folders and files that I gave up and I asked my Internet provider to do moodle installation for me. Now moodle is working very well, but I need to move it into different directory and I like to learn how to do the work myself.

Is it possible to install moodle simply by using FTP?  Is it possible to unzip the moodle folder directly in the directory hosted on the server?

P.S. Excuse my poor English ( English is my second language.) 

Mark