Installation Failure

Installation Failure

by Bob Pitlak -
Number of replies: 7

I created a moodle directory on our web site (hosted by pair.com) and put all the moodle files and directories in it.  When I ran install.php (from http://rutply.com/moodle/install.php) it showed that the server "Passed" all PHP settings, then displayed the web address as http://rutply.com/moodle, which makes sense.  However, when I clicked "Next" I got an error message saying,

"The web address does not appear to be valid - this Moodle installation doesn't appear to be there."

Obviously, I haven't gotten very far with this installation, and this is not encouraging.  What am I doing wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Pitlak

Re: Installation Failure

by Edgar Amorim -
Bob,

I´ve clicked on http://rutply.com/moodle and I´ve got a correct install continuation window. I´ve didn´t go ahead, but it seems it´s ok now. Try to continue the installation, probably everething will run fine now, if not try from another place - out of current PC/office.

Edgar Amorim
In reply to Edgar Amorim

Tárgy: Re: Installation Failure

by Egyszer Volt -
I've got the same problem, but on another web address of course...

Why this problem occurs so many?
Please help, I can't use athor machine to reach the net.

Steve.
In reply to Bob Pitlak

Re: Installation Failure

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This check does indeed sometimes cause problems. If you are sure that your moodle path is correct, you can always try commenting out the check and seeing what happens. The bit of code is the 7 lines starting at 171 (in 1.5 anyway) in install.php...

/// check wwwroot
  if (ini_get('allow_url_fopen')) {
      if (($fh = @fopen($INSTALL['wwwroot'].'/install.php', 'r')) === false) {
          $errormsg .= get_string('wwwrooterror', 'install').'<br />';
      }
  }
  if ($fh) fclose($fh);       

.. just comment all the lines out, and see!

In reply to Howard Miller

Tárgy: Re: Installation Failure

by Egyszer Volt -
Now I'm commented out these lines, and I went further at last. But I've got the same problem with the admin directory. I found the lines that checks the directory, and commented out these lines too. It's working now, but I don't know what will happen later...

Thanx anyway.
In reply to Egyszer Volt

Re: Tárgy: Re: Installation Failure

by Micheal Cooper -
I got the same error message and fixed it by fixing my incomplete hosts file. I submitted an entry to the FAQ, but it is still hidden until approval, so I will repeat it here, below the dashed line. Basically, the installation program was telling you that it could not find itself. The first thing I thought about was the fact that this is a brand-new installation of RedHat Linux, and the fact that I am not very expert at it. The second things I thought about was the fact that it could not find itself. That means look into the parts of the system that tell the OS who it is. One of those is the hosts file (/etc/hosts in Linux, also present in Windows and Macintosh). Basically, without the proper lines in /etc/hosts, your server is like a character in a bad soap opera, sitting up in bed in the hospital, head bandaged, asking, "Who am I?" to a backdrop of melodramatic violins.

------------------------
You create a new server and install moodle, you get past the server checks with flying colors, but then you get:
"The web address does not appear to be valid - this Moodle installation doesn't appear to be there."
after you input your installation and data directories. The installation itself is telling you that the installation is not there, but you know it is.

One cause of this is an incomplete hosts file (/etc/hosts on linux). The installation CD's should put the line:
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
in for you, since it is necessary for many programs in the OS itself.
Next, you need to add the IP address of your server, then the full server.domain name, the machine's nickname. For example:
192.168.0.24            probiscus.pointythings.com       probiscus

In reply to Micheal Cooper

by M Y -

Hello, I also have the same problem on all Moodle installations on my server. Can anybody help me?

From Martin

P.S: My client has a deadline. mixed

In reply to M Y

by Bruce Moon -
Just to repeat the same chord. I have older Moodle installations and decided to do a fresh one for the project I am working on. However, I get the wwwrooterror when I try to do the install. My server droped out a nuber of times uploading so I was wordering if I am missing something or perhaps the longin script was not designed for hosting services like mine (Powweb) but just local installs? I've had no problems doing a config.php install in the past. Is that still a possibility?