Login Page keeeps reloading on WinXP SP2.

Login Page keeeps reloading on WinXP SP2.

by bernie t -
Number of replies: 16

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to Moodle and would REALLY like to help the project out but I can't seem to get a decent installation on my computer.

When I install Moodle and try to login I keep getting sent back to the login page without logging in. I can't even login with my admin account. I have done the following to try and remedy the problem:

1. Turned off my XP firewall
  2. Set all IE privacy/security settings to lowest possible (accept all cookies etc.)
  3. Set entire moodle directory to have read and write privleges.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bernie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to bernie t

Re: Login Page keeeps reloading on WinXP SP2.

by Art Lader -
Something to do with the session cookies setting, perhaps?
Attachment session.png
In reply to bernie t

by bernie t -

Thanks Art, I'll try it today and see if it works smile

Bernie

In reply to bernie t

by bernie t -

Nope, that didn't work, I turned that setting on, deleted all of the current cookies and files and still didn't get logged in.

To be more specific though, after I attempt to login I get sent back to the index page. Kind of strange.

In reply to bernie t

by Art Lader -
Sorry. sad

I will keep thinking, though!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by David Field -
Ok, it might be a longshot, i had a similar type problem

in the config.php under the /moodle directory

the line

$CFG->wwwroot = "http://localhost/moodle"

Change localhost to be the IP address of your server... (If its not already)
In reply to David Field

by bernie t -

Thanks David,

I'm actually using the same computer to run the server as I am to login to moodle. I entered the following for my default wwwroot directory:

http://10.227.xx.xxx/moodle

I imagine that's what you had in mind but it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

In reply to bernie t

by bernie t -
Any other ideas anyone?
In reply to bernie t

by Robert Brenstein -
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by bernie t -

smileHey there Robert, thanks for your reply.

The first link above addresses a login problem that occurs when people try to login with an incorrect username or password. Immediately after I install moodle I try to login with admin, guest, and even a bogus account that I create and I always get redirected back to moodle's home page. This occurs with Firefox and IE 6. Also, I manually set the bogus user account's "auth" field to "manual" instead of "email" so it shouldn't have anything to do with pop3 authentication. (I did this because I do not have an SMTP server running on my computer. Is this a MUST even though I don't plan on using it?)

I tried to follow the second forum but I wasn't sure exactly what I should do. I did the following to try and fix the problem:

• modify my config.php file to the text listed below
  • change secureforms to false in the file default.php

Config.php file:

<?php  /// Moodle Configuration File

unset($CFG);

$CFG->dbtype    = 'mysql';
$CFG->dbhost    = 'localhost';
$CFG->dbname    = 'moodle';
$CFG->dbuser    = 'moodleuser';
$CFG->dbpass    = 'moodleuser';
$CFG->dbpersist =  false;
$CFG->prefix    = '';

$CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://10.227.195.108/moodle'; (this was originally http://localhost/moodle)
$CFG->dirroot   = 'c:\\inetpub\\wwwroot\\moodle';
$CFG->dataroot  = 'c:\\inetpub\\wwwroot\\moodledata';
$CFG->admin     = 'admin';

$CFG->directorypermissions = 00777;  // try 02777 on a server in Safe Mode

require_once("$CFG->dirroot/lib/setup.php");
// MAKE SURE WHEN YOU EDIT THIS FILE THAT THERE ARE NO SPACES, BLANK LINES,
// RETURNS, OR ANYTHING ELSE AFTER THE TWO CHARACTERS ON THE NEXT LINE.
?>

Shucks, I REALLY want to base my master's thesis on Learning Management Systems but I kinda have to have one working before I can say anything about it. smile

If it would help to know any additional information feel free to ask me as I have plenty of time to try and troubleshoot this installation.

Bernie

In reply to bernie t

by Ian Semey -
You do not need a smtp server running.

Why do you have double \ between inetpub, wwwroot and moodle in your config.php?

Try writing "$CFG->dirroot = 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\moodle';"
and the same for dataroot.
In reply to bernie t

by Robert Brenstein -
a few things which may or may not be helpful

I have noticed that manually setting authentication to manual for a specific user does not work if the site authentication is something else than manual. It works for admin and guest because they get special treatment. No idea whether this is by design or a bug.

Admin user should always be able to log in regardless of site auth method so if that fails, there is sth wrong. Can you check that the login actually fails? You would need to look at the moodle log immediately after login attempt. Knowing what moodle thinks (knows) of this might be quite helpful.

If you are using ip address in wwwroot, you should make sure that Apache config file has servername set to that ip address. Otherwise the redirection may be flaking out. That was the point of the 2nd link.

To use pop3 auth, you do not need to run your own mail server (and smtp has nothing to do with it). You can use any server on which you have a mailbox accessible with imap or pop3 protocol.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by bernie t -

All righty, I've tried everything that both of you have mentioned and unfortunately I'm still getting the problem. Here's the rundown:

1. Removing extra slashes "\" from dirroot and data params.
    1. I did that and still got the same problem.
    2. The settings with the // were the default settings that Moodle told be to put in my config.php file though, and I can navigate to the index and install pages okay for the most part.
    3. But that reminds me to let you guies know that I'm running IIS 5.1, which may or may not be a factor. I'll try and find some forums with this problem.
  2. Yup, not even admin or guest have ever worked. Come to think of it though, I just found out that I have never gotten the "type in your admin preferences" page during installation. I think I've seen other threads with a similar problem so I'll try to find out if anyone else has encountered the same. But if you're reading this and you know what the problem is, feel free to send me a note smile.
  3. I have tried both placing the IP address in the dirroot parameter and localhost/moodle (with and without the slash after the word Moodle) and neither seem to solve the problem.

I think I know that it's not a browser problem since I can log in with the same computer onto other moodle installations.

Aside from the IIS 5.1 and the admin pref's problem though, I'm not sure where else to go from here.

Meanwhile, thanks for all of your speedy responses. I think I'm falling in love with this community...in a heterosexual kind of way... or is it metrosexual?...uuuhhhhh...thank you.

Thanks for your

In reply to bernie t

by David Field -
Another possible one for you.. I was running 1.4 on my laptop, and in trying to link the SQL Tables to SugarCRM (Another story) i sh@gged my Moodle build, my fault, so i downloaded 1.4.5+ this morning, and installed it, it never came up with the Admin password install at the end ( I dropped the previous moodle database and deleted the previous install)

I digress, I ran the install, and set the https: option to true, and EVERY time i logged into the system, it would go in, and then i would click on an option and it would go back to the login screen, So via 4 logins and an SQL reboot i disabled the http:// on login option, and now i'm fine...

Are you running the https:// option? if so try and disable it, i'm sure one of the config files could allow you to do this, also disable force login... i'm sure some one can tell you which config file these are held in...

these sort of problems are like cracking walnuts, sometimes you just need lots of big hammers
In reply to David Field

by bernie t -

Hi David,

Sorry for the somewhat late response. I've been busy.

So I tried removing any SSL, PCT or PCT 1.0 options from my IIS 5.1 server and I'm still getting the problem.

Right now I'm in the midst of reinstalling everything on my computer (PHP, MySQL, and IIS) and we'll see if it was something buggy with my original installation. Thanks for your responses though!

Bernie

In reply to bernie t

Re: Login Page keeeps reloading on WinXP SP2. FINALLY!!!

by bernie t -
YYYYEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!
After a full month of taking up my free time (and finally posting to this forum halfway through) I have managed to install my own little Moodleville big grin
Thanks for all of your help and encouragement guies and galls.

I ended up just installing an Apache server and it worked FLAWLESSLY!!!!

See you in some of the other forums smile
In reply to bernie t

Re: Login Page keeeps reloading on WinXP SP2. FINALLY!!!

by Art Lader -

Congratulations, Bennie!

-- Art