What advantages does Moodle offer over MS Sharepoint 2013?

What advantages does Moodle offer over MS Sharepoint 2013?

by alexandra boniecki -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I am facing a debate over the benefits of using Moodle when Sharepoint 2013 is already implemented by the company and now includes the SP VLE solution. I found little information comparing the latest SP potential with the latest features offered by Moodle so far. On the other hand I found articles pointing out the benefits of using Sharepoint for those who are already using Moodle.

Does this mean that both systems essentially provide the same functions and there's no point in entering a debate on the benefits of Moodle? Could anyone advise me on this?

Thank you!
Alex

Average of ratings: -
In reply to alexandra boniecki

Re: What advantages does Moodle offer over MS Sharepoint 2013?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Any kind of debate about the way forward is helpful, even if the outcome is not. This is a similar question we have been facing since SharePoint 2013 was released. So far, we do not seem to have anyone who can use it, we do not have access to the coding skills required to make it work for us. It will take some time to develop that sort of skill, if we can find anyone brave enough to take it on. We cannot afford to hire someone to do it for us, so we have to develop things internally. So far, I have found the documentation is more than typically Microsoft documentation, thorough, exact, precise, pedantic. It is obviously written by experts who assume you have the same level of skills they do and can read their arcane spell craft and understand what it is you are reading. Best thing, I suspect, is put the documentation aside and play with it for a year or so, until you know what questions you need to ask - then look.

For us, we were swapping over to another LMS, but that is just not working as it is supposed to, seriously buggy and no support for SharePoint, so it seems we are sticking with Moodle - a huge relief for me personally. In fact, I think I might have convinced them to drop the other altogether as an LMS and just retain the SMS aspect - which means we can avoid SharePoint altogether.  Hope this helps present a set of issues you may not have covered. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by alexandra boniecki -

Thank you for your comments here Colin. Like you say: 'any kind of debate about the way forward is helpful'.

In my case, there are very good experts of SP working in the background and I am certain that they know exactly what to do and how to do it well. They are however new to Moodle and would need strong arguments to be swayed its way.

My findings so far indicate that those already using Moodle think of SP as difficult to set up and maintain and not offering the same level of student-student or student-teacher interactivity and that, in their view, SP is being used as a document dump rather than a training tool.
At the same time, it seems that SP experts believe in SP offering equal features to Moodle and that it is overall easier for people to use. I feel like I have found quite a maze..

In reply to alexandra boniecki

by Colin Fraser -

My understanding is that SP does not "offer" equal features, that, it seems, is a nonsense. What it does offer is a developer's dream, or nightmare, depending on your point of view. If developers have sufficient skills they can develop custom modules. I understand there are shells, basic plugins, that can be developed further, but my information is that the shells are not necessarily of the highest standards. Having said that, please understand I do not know of my own experience, but I am going on what others tell me - and they may not necessarily have it right.

The real advantage of Moodle is that the plugins are already at a usable level, that support is freely available, and unstintingly given. Given the nature of PHP, you can adapt existing plugins, or create new ones to suit yourself. For SP, my understanding is that basically, you have to start from scratch. This means not only are you required to build the plugins but you also need to debug them individually, and on top of that, debug them collectively. While Moodle is not perfect in this regard, you can be sure that if you have an issue you can at least get support for a fix. In SP, where is the support? My impression is that it is all self development stuff, so where are you going to get support for that?

To use SP in its CMS mode, you need to learn the tricks of using the interface command structure to configure it the way you want, not an easy task. Moodle, otoh, requires you need to understand how menus work and what changes you can make to get a look like you want, and what plugins you need to get it to work like you want. The other part of this is that it is unlikely that if someone develops a plugin for SP that they will freely share, you are going to have to buy it, considering the costs involved in development time and licensing for SP. Not so with Moodle. Yes, there are excellent Moodle plugins you can buy, but there are also excellent plugins you do not have to buy that may do the same thing. Or, you can take existing plugins that partly do what you want, and you can adapt them to what you need. I can't see the same thing happening with SP. I would also argue that you only need PHP on top of HTML, CSS and Javascript for Moodle. PHP is a common scripting language that is relatively easy to learn and use compared with SP. I believe that in SP, not only do need HTML, CSS and Javascript, you also need C#\VB & ASP.NET for custom development. (For me, VB and ASP.NET are little more than bloatware anyway, inappropriate for the modern internet environment.) I would offer that development time in Moodle is a lot shorter than for SP for these reasons. 

In the end, it is entirely the decision of the people who are paying the bills, keeping the accounts and funding the organization's financial structure. I suggest costs will be lower with Moodle than with SP, a lot lower. The development cycle alone will be a lot shorter, keeping costs down further, and support costs can be amortized over a longer period. Moodle, for me, is a more cost effective outcome than SP, even if the idea of SP is a lot more sexy to a developer. Practicality must determine the outcome - and the largest part of that practicality has to be costs. That is something Moodle users do not really discuss, btw, but you could get that topic on the agenda, and I suggest it might be a far more successful argument than talking about the Open Source nature of Moodle.        

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Colin Fraser -

Thinking about it a little more, and it really did just occur to me, Moodle has one real advantage over every other LMS that I have ever seen. Again, it is something few Moodlers talk about, well, OK not that I have seen, but I have run into a couple or articles about it recently, and that is in the area of informal learning.

Most LMSs are formal, very formal, as the people who write them are guided by a set of priorities that might be the province of the organization, but are not always conducive to good learning. Formal learning is very structured, development times can be long, depending on the required learning outcomes. This also implies the courses have limited objectives and are not that flexible. Informal learning can provide a better framework for more formal learning, and speed up the learning process by attracting and engaging personal interest, greater collaborative approaches and more importantly, engage a lot more people in the creation of content. While this may seem a little counter intuitive, more people creating content, particularly from "in-the-field" or "coal-face" agents with real world, current experience, who develop specialty content, will speed up the learning process even more.

It also means that those interminable face-to-face, sit in the seminar room and be talked at, sessions can be reduced to just over arching principles or common policies- reducing the loss of too much production time. (No matter what the product is, even if it is bureaucratic paper shuffling, it is still production time.) For me, it also means those banal, pitiful, PowerPoint presentations can be replaced with video, or Prezis for which I will be truly grateful if I could get more of them..smile      

So there is something else that SP may not work on, informal learning. Would I be close to the mark in assuming that your organization has not really considered that aspect of learning? 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)