Can Moddle handle my situation requirement?

Can Moddle handle my situation requirement?

by Martin Tjandra -
Number of replies: 10

Hi, I'm new at Moodle world, and I would like some suggestion before I dive in too deep into Moodle.

I have a project which I need to create:

• A new employee teaching course website,
  • Which is based on video tutorial, so the course page only need to display video,
  • And give quiz after each video lesson is finished,
  • each question may contain images.
  • We have 60 questions for quiz per video tutorial,
  • But for each quiz session, I only need to display 20 questions, picked up randomly from 60 questions, and display it randomly too.
  • There's minimum score for someone can pass a course,
  • There's course level, and requirement for enrolling into the course,
  • for example, for a user can enroll into course level 5, he must have finish course 2 and 4. It's like if a student want to enroll into Object Oriented Programming course, he must have already pass Programming Algorithm course and Data Structure course, for example.
  • And there's a situation at the end of a batch courses where a supervisor should review a user's progress and scores before the user can continue to enroll into the next batch of courses.
  • I also need to create report for the user of his gradebook,
  • and I also need to create report for the supervisor.

Given my situation, I just want to ask, is it possible or not to create it in the Moodle? I've already installed Moodle, and playing around with it, but I still think it's a little bit complicated. So I still don't know how to tweak it in, especially about the requirement for enrolling and the supervisor review, so I don't know whether Moodle can do something like that or not. I just need confirmation whether Moodle can do that or not, because of Moodle can do that, I will invest more time in learning it deeper.

Any link to documentation that explain how to do those two specific requirements will also very much appreciated.

Thank you for your kind help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Tjandra

Re: Can Moddle handle my situation requirement?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

To address one of your questions, Quiz questions can contain images. But to address an issue of learning, if you give students 60 questions per video it will be more of a test of their stamina than their learning. I strongly recommend shorter quizzes.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Martin Tjandra -

No, I said i have 60 questions for each of the video or level, but I will only give 20 questions at random, taken out from the 60 questions. Why? So that if there are another participants, the previously passed (or failed) participants can't give the questions to the fresh participants for that level (therefore cheating their way off). And if the previously failed participants retake the test for that level, they will be unlikely to get the same sets of questions. At least, 2/3 of their questions are new questions.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

20 randomly drawn questions sounds like a good number. Enough to test knowledge without so many that they click anything to make the test stop <grins>.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

It is possible to create the course. It is possible to create the quiz, and I am sure there is a way to randomize it, to get the 20 questions you are after.

As far as tweaking Moodle, I understand it is actually quite simple, and this is from a non-coder btw. The hard part is finding the code you want to tweak. Then there is the idea of plugins. Create a plugin module in PHP to do what you want to do, then at some point you need to write code into the core program to recognize your module, to run it. All the development tools you need are easily accessible, documentation for how to do this is found at the Developer Doc wiki. I do not have time to improve my PHP skills or keep up with the SQL required but for those who have, it seems a simple enough exercise, so I have been told.

Moodle is Open Source so you can get all the information you need from the Docs, but you have all the code at your fingertips. Good luck.     

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Martin Tjandra -

Thank you for the information. I'll look deeper into Moodle. Thanks. smile

by Shadiya Muchikkal -

I have got a similar project to do....please help me with assigning roles and permission. I have got Managers, Supervisors and Employees as users. Managers who may b able to manage and control different categories, add courses to thos categories and enrol users to courses under their category. Supervisor may b able to manage nd give grades to the users on different courses. Please help. I think v can wrk togethr on it. Online employee training?????

And regardin quiz section...hav u got ny ideas yet..for randomly presentin thm to employees?

In reply to Shadiya Muchikkal

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I suggest you give your managers the Manager role at category level and you give your supervisors the Teacher role at course level. Please see Assign roles

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Shadiya Muchikkal -

Thank You! Help me with the quizzes..to randomly pick them up..eg: 20 from a whole of 60

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Shadiya Muchikkal -

Hi Mary,

Thankyou!

I did assign Manager role to managers at category level..but can't those managers add a new user to enrol to some courses under that category??? And pleas tell me how to giv teacher role at course level..i dint find out sad

In reply to Shadiya Muchikkal

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

1. Adding new users to the site is a site wide role and so a manager at course category level cannot do this.

2. To find out how to assign a teacher the teacher role in a course, please see the section Enrolling users in Manual enrolment