PHP accelerator rookie questions

PHP accelerator rookie questions

by Tom Moseley -
Number of replies: 8

Hi

I am setting up moodle 2.5.2 and want to install a php accelerator to improve performance. I just don't know how you pick one and then how you install / configure it. Any help / how to guides would be great. 

I have been looking at xcache as it seems to have a version compatible with windows and 5.3.27 just don't really know how to configure it.

I am using:

• Windows server 2012
  • PHP 5.3.27
  • MYSQL

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Moseley

Re: PHP accelerator rookie questions

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

With the caveat that I know nothing about Windows...

If you can run to PHP 5.5 then you get OpCache built in and this is recommended for Moodle for 2.6 and newer. 

A lot of Windows users seem to use 'wincache' although I don't have any details. I expect Google does wink

In reply to Howard Miller

by Tom Moseley -

Ok, i'll give it a go updating to 5.5 makes sense anyway. How do you then enable opcache within php 5.5?

Thanks

In reply to Tom Moseley

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Just use the settings on the Moodle opcache page in php.ini.  The module is installed automatically with 5.5.  I just did this a couple of days - easy upgrade and setup.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tom Moseley -

Hi Emma,

Struggling with updating the PHP. Followed the steps from the link on my previous post but i just keep getting server error 500 :S

Is there something i need to change in IIS to tell it that PHP has been updated?

Is it just a case of editing ;opcache.enable=0 to opcache.enable=1 ?

Thanks

In reply to Tom Moseley

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You would change that line as you have above.  I am linux user and so can't help with IIS.  Sorry!

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tom Moseley -

No Problem. Thanks for the help.

I have successfully updated PHP to 5.5 and enabled opcache. Now to play around configuring it.

Thanks

In reply to Howard Miller

by Tom Moseley -

When trying to follow the steps in this post i am getting a 500 internal server error after i swap the PHP folders over :S can swap back and it works. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks