Cloze Numerical Answer Blanks vary in size

Cloze Numerical Answer Blanks vary in size

by Jimmy Frost -
Number of replies: 2

I am using Cloze type questions to have my students enter numerical data into 2 column tables. The data that is being entered as decimals rounded to 3 digits. Some of the answers round to .000 which is zero. I am finding that the answer blanks very based upon how many decimal places are in the answer.  An answe with 1 decimal place is very small, where as an answer with 3 decimal places is larger.

Is there any way to set the width of the answer box to a specific value or length?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jimmy Frost

Re: Cloze Numerical Answer Blanks vary in size

by Catherine Berry -

I have had this difficulty as well. The workaround I have used is to set a wrong answer of, say, 999999 in every case. (so it might look like {:NM:=2.53~999999}, where 2.53 is the correct answer). All answer boxes will be the width of the longest of any answers that you have set, so if you include the 999999 in every case then all the answer boxes will be the same width.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Catherine Berry

Re: Cloze Numerical Answer Blanks vary in size

by Pierre Pichet -

This variable answer length  feature was created because Cloze is often used in language tests where the student has to fill many answers that can vary from a punctiation to a verb conjugation in a given text.

The workaround suggested is the right way to do it.