Video authoring tablet

Video authoring tablet

by Richard Palmer -
Number of replies: 11

Hi

I would like to produce a series of videos similar to the one below, not for publication to Youtube but to produce learning packages for my Moodle courses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=djrpGtqryL0

I would be grateful if someone could help me to identify, as specifically as possible,  the type of tablet which is being used by the author to create this quality of video please?

Many thanks Rick

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Palmer

Re: Video authoring tablet

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Richard,

1.- Wrong URL

2.- No cross-posting please (you also posted this to the Teaching with Moodle forum).

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Richard Palmer -

Try the following link, you may be able to oblige:

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=djrpGtqryL0   you might be able to oblige?

Hmmmm..............No cross-posting please (you also posted this to the Teaching with Moodle forum).??? My sincere apologies!! I did so not knowing which would be the best forum to elicit a response. Forgive me but I don't see what the issue is.

Rick

by Derek Chirnside -

Richard, "the issue?"  What Joseph was referring to is described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting

ie posting the same message in two or more places.  We don't do it on Moodle.org.  There are some community guidelines, but I can't find them at the moment.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Richard Palmer -

Hi

I've read your link twice but far too complicated for me to comprehend I'm afraid. However, I'm sure you or others will continue to tell me "why we don't do it on Moodle" If I'd couched the post or the subject with two different sets of wording you et. al. would have been non the wiser I guess.

A constructive response and less pedantry to my original post would be most welcomesmile

R

by Derek Chirnside -

Ha!!  I'll give up Richard.  My interpretation of the Wikipedia article was nine words ('posting the same message in two or more places"), but apparently hasn't communicated with any clarity.

We are pretty well all volunteers here Richard.  There are certainly no conscripts.  

I take your point: the WP article is up for review, and the discussion highlights this.

The usual pattern is post ONCE.  Clear, polite, nice title, no silly stuff etc (I must find those Moodle.org guidelines!!) and then you wait just a little.  Maybe after a day or so if you have not heard anything, the next step may be to post somewhere else referring back to the original post; sometimes a second post in the same thread. I can find you a few models if you like.

Usually we don't do a multi-post of the same content.  If you don't know where to post, just make a choice.

Signing off this thread now.

-Derek

by Derek Chirnside -

PS Richard.  I nearly did this: why not go to the Youtube channel and post a question to the author of these clips?

by Richard Palmer -

Hello Derek

Having a modicum of intelligence I did exactly that when I first came across the very impressive videos on the Youtube channel. The author responded but, unfortunately, declined to tell me, hence my posting on Moodle, albeit a multiple posting which seems to have provoked the wrath of some purists. That was not my intention and I am very sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. For fear of being struck off I will desist from the practice of multiple posting and seek to obtain an answer elsewhere on the www.

R

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Most people are happy with using their phone/digital camera/webcam for short, simple, "one-scene" videos directly to a low-bitrate, web friendly format, uploading it to a CMS or LMS, and then embedding it in a page or activity.

On the other hand, video editing is one of the most resource intensive things we ask computers to do. I've managed to wreck 2 laptops (they overheated because laptops don't have adequate cooling) from using them for video editing and encoding.

Simply put, if you want to edit video, use a reasonably powerful desktop computer (e.g. Intel i5 or i7 CPU with 1GB dedicated GPU and at least 4GB DDR3 RAM, and a 64bit operating system) with sufficient ventilation/cooling systems. Most video editing software also makes extensive use of mouse and keyboard controls.

You'll also need adequate disk storage space for all your high-bitrate video rushes (you need higher-bitrates to get decent video image quality after all the editing, post-production, and encoding/compression to make it look good and stream/download easily on the web) and uncompressed audio files; they start to build up very quickly even for quite modest projects.

The opposite to this kind of setup would be an ARM SoC with 1GB memory and 64GB Flash RAM, with a 32bit operating system, with a touch-screen instead of keyboard and mouse... in other words a tablet.

The software options available for desktops will also be much better.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)

by Sam Thing -

Cross posting is good for you, bad for me. mixed

Bad for me because I search the forums when I need an answer to a problem. If the answers are in fragments then it makes the job harder. The more fragments there are the less likely I'll find the answer if there is one which means I'll go an start my own discussion topic creating another fragment which muddies the water further for those who come after me.

Cheers, Sam.

Average of ratings: Very cool (2)
In reply to Sam Thing

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I don't know why an explanation is necessary, here it is: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Forums_code_of_conduct#Post_your_question_in_one_forum_only. It is nicely hidden. That's all.

I always go to the "Hardware and performance" forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/post.php?forum=94, then press "Add a new discussion topic", in its "Read this first" at the bottom there is the link "Moodle.org forums Code of Conduct" http://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle.org_forums_Code_of_Conduct, there is the link we are looking for. (I know because I put it there!)