Moodle tenant feature

Moodle tenant feature

by Ann S -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

May I know about the muti-tenancy feature in moodle and whether it is possible with the moodle 2.0.5?  Do I need to migrate it to latest version?  Please let me know your reply.

Thanks in advance

Ann

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ann S

Re: Moodle tenant feature

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ann, it might help us help you if you explained what that "muti-tenancy feature" is.thoughtful

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ann - if you mean MDL-28946 then it has been around for a while but nothing  has actually materialised yet, I am afraid. 

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ann S -

Yes... Mary, what I said is about is the "Multi-tenancy" feature

this is the link I saw http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Multitenant_support. I want to know if anybody has implemented this yet or not... and their experience.

regards

Ann

In reply to Ann S

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

From memory (and speaking as an outsider) what happened was this:

When they tried to implement multi-tenacy, they found that in practice it was harder then they had thought, and it was going to make a big mess in the code for a feature that only some people needed (which would likely lead to a lot of bugs). Also, it turned out that different people mean different things, and hence require slightly different features, when they say 'multi-tenancy' so implementing just one thing in core was not going to make everyone happy. Hence they backed off from the idea, and decided to leave it to custom solutions.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ann S -

Thank you Tim for sharing your point of view. So it is not at all a suggested thing to be implemented and maintained, right? Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards

Ann