Using enrolment keys for cohorts

Using enrolment keys for cohorts

by Rick Leunisse -
Number of replies: 4

I'm pretty new to moodle, but I have a problem with setting up the correct enrolment. Basically I want to set up an enrolment, but instead of enrolling people in groups I want to enroll users in cohorts. 

I want to use the cohorts so that a single cohort only has access to certain courses. It seems like something that would be used a lot so I've googled a lot to find a solution, but I can't find one. Would really appreciate any help! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Leunisse

Re: Using enrolment keys for cohorts

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you be more detailed on what you are looking for?  Should the students be enrolled in the courses automatically that the cohort has access to or should they just be presented with the option to enroll?

If you are looking for automatic enrollment you would enroll your cohorts in the courses (go to Enrolled users, and click on enroll cohort) and then just add your students to the cohort.  You can do this with a csv upload.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rick Leunisse -

Hi Emma, thank you for your response. The problem with a csv upload is that I'd have to enrol way too many students and that can't be done manually. 

So what I would like is that a student receives an enrolment key and that when they enter that key it will enroll them in a cohort. 

In reply to Rick Leunisse

by Derek Chirnside -

I think this is right:

You can only self enrol in a course not a cohort.

You can use metacourses to enable enrolment in multiple courses.  If a daughter course has course X as a metacourse, each enrolment in X is carried over into the daughter courses.

http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Metacourse

-Derek