Hiding child courses in the Course Overview

Hiding child courses in the Course Overview

by Libby Schumacher-Knight -
Number of replies: 4

Hey, I can't seem to get my head around this. I have a Parent course - Y12 English. There are 3 child courses (which are 3 topics for Y12 English).

I want to be able to have it so that when a student logins they ONLY see Y12 English in there course overview.

I have tried putting the 3 child courses in a subcategory and hiding the category (but not the child courses) but they can still be seen in the students course overview.

Is this possible or have I completely got what I think I can do wrong?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Libby Schumacher-Knight

Re: Hiding child courses in the Course Overview

by James Henestofel -

Libby,

You need to hide the Courses.  Moodle allows students to access open courses in hidden categories.  That way you can hide the Course from the students but the instructor can still access if needed.

In reply to James Henestofel

Hey James, thanks but I want the student to be able to access the courses as well. I just want them hidden on the course overview as they will be linked to via the Parent - they are like sub topics of the parent course.

In reply to Libby Schumacher-Knight

by James Henestofel -

Libby,

Its not possible to hide specific courses in the course overview without hiding the course itself. 

If you did hide it how were the students supposed to get to it? 

Also I'm wondering why you can't include that content in the parent course when you say they are "like sub topics".

In reply to James Henestofel

Hey James, I was wanting to hide the course in course overview and then it would be linked to from the first Intro course.

At school we are having 1 course per year subject, so Y12 English is 1 course, with 8 plus teachers. We wanted to figure out a way to make the course a lot neater and tidier both for students and teachers and linking courses together is a better option for us then any of the course formats that we have been allowed to add to our site.