Permissions confusion

Permissions confusion

by Si Wooler -
Number of replies: 2
I think Moodle is a terrific platform and I am in awe of what the people who developed it have achieved on open source. I'm grateful but........ I've built my site (to a degree) and have started testing it with imagined students/authenticated users. my problem is that no matter what I do to assign roles and permissions I can't get anyone in to see content in a course. I can enrol them on a course but then they don't have permission to see anything! I've been through layers and layers of roles and permissions but nothing makes any difference. I've read forums and followed documentation to the letter. All the permissions i can find and contexts I can think of are allowed. Can anyone point me at a single forum thread or instruction that will step me through this? If I'm honest, if it isn't easy (default) to allow users to access material you have put in courses...... Please help. I really would be very grateful. 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Si Wooler

Re: Permissions confusion

by ben reynolds -

This is odd. Which version of Moodle? What is the error message? I suggest you go back to default permissions for site wide roles. In any off the shelf Moodle, you should have no trouble letting imaginary students walk right into a course and see everything.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to ben reynolds

Re: Permissions confusion

by Si Wooler -

Thank you Ben

yes, odd indeed. I would have suspected that entry to course contents would be by default. I have actually just been able to get access for a user. A role allocation for authenticated user that was not visible before is now showing and allowed access... which is good. I'm very much a beginner here so am acutely aware that any errors will be mine but I was getting a little exasperated smile version is 2.5 btw and the error message was "you do not have permission to do that (read book) despite being enrolled in the course. similar for forums etc. Going right back to system wide permissions seems to have cracked it but it took some burrowing. thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Si